Omega Vs Catalyst...Performance?

Omega gives you the power to turn up your card to it's fullest. But it can also be dangerous as you can cook your GPU. Unless you want a few more FPS at the possible expence of your card use the ATI drivers, I have used both and saw only 2-4 FPS increase by OCing the piss out of my card and I almost cooked it. I use ATI's drivers as I don't feel the need to OC anymore than ATI will allow.

There is one other side benefit, some cards can be unlocked by using the Omega drivers.

Your 9550 card *most likely* has a 64 bit memory interface. You will get better performance by using a 128Mb interface card. Or a 256.

The two times I loaded Omega drivers my video quality in games went down. There was no measurable speed increase either.
All the Omega's are is the ATI driver with some of the default parameters changed.

If you want to overclock you can just use Radlinker. I have it installed and it is coexisting nicely even with the new Catalyst Control Center.

Steevo said:
Omega gives you the power to turn up your card to it's fullest. But it can also be dangerous as you can cook your GPU. Unless you want a few more FPS at the possible expence of your card use the ATI drivers, I have used both and saw only 2-4 FPS increase by OCing the piss out of my card and I almost cooked it. I use ATI's drivers as I don't feel the need to OC anymore than ATI will allow.

There is one other side benefit, some cards can be unlocked by using the Omega drivers.

Your 9550 card *most likely* has a 64 bit memory interface. You will get better performance by using a 128Mb interface card. Or a 256.

My 9550 is 128mb card.

I would use the omega drivers. They are the only you can use ATi's AI feature without downloading the nasty control center that they offer. Omega's drivers do help performence in many ways; if you goto the sire they have some benchmarks and image comparisons. And what leejand said was right, Omegas are really just more flexable then the ATi drivers. I would use them over the offical cat drivers :)

zeke_mo said:
I would use the omega drivers. They are the only you can use ATi's AI feature without downloading the nasty control center that they offer.

You can get a non-control center version. I use that one, I dont like the control center that much.

Just pick:
Display Driver, Control Panel, WDM Integrated Driver

Instead of:
Display Driver, CATALYST Control Center, WDM Integrated Driver

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=27

You cant use the AI feature without have the control center...I know you dont have to have it, but its the only way to use the AI feature

its something ATi made to sort of auto-adjust your settings to help your gfx run better when your frame rate drops, im not sure how well it works, but on low-end cards it might do some good :)

The only reason why I would use Omega drivers is: if I had a ATI Mobility GPU... or maybe if I had a softmodded card (ok that makes 2 reasons :p ). In any other case I don't see an advantage.

I notice a difference with Omega, but then again I've got the 9600XT.

The action seems smoother. If y'all want me to do the benchmarks, I will do em for the sake of discussion. I do agree the difference is small, but significant for my rig and card.

"Results may vary" is perhaps a good way to describe the performance differences between the standard ATI catalyst and the omega driver(s).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back