Old SP2 Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
had to close the other thread...users don't need to thumb through beta issues to try to resolve their issues with an official release

first question from me;

I used my office pc as my sp2 guinnea pig

it seems to slow down the shut down and the start up...are these known issues?

perris said:
it seems to slow down the shut down and the start up...are these known issues?
I doubt that it's a known issue. In fact, SP2 significantly cut down my bootup time, and made application launches slightly more responsive. Did you completely defrag after installing it?

ah...didn't do that....I'll give that a go...what is it in the sp that you think facilitates program launch?

also, it wouldn't recognize that I had no password, and I had to go into administrator and reset that.

I know I've seen that issue before

perris said:
what is it in the sp that you think facilitates program launch?
I really don't know...which is why I told Enyo it was a rather pleasant surprise. =)
Apparently, MS did a whole lot of recompiling, so there may have been some code cleanups and optimizations in the process.

I'm really looking forward to doing a complete reinstallation with a slipstreamed version of SP2. If only I actually had the time to do it right now. :p My computer is a mess right now; it needs it.

I'm also going to use the occasion to create a dual-boot XP Pro / Linux (leaning towards SuSE Linux).

Melon

I have knocked up a unattended sp2 slipstream.
Gonna be using it as soon as I get home!! :)

I did one myself this afternoon, tried to burn it, my burner don't like burning 8 folders deep.

Seems I am going to have to use other disks than MR .Data, they are good disks. I think also a new burner is on my Xmas list to Santa Claus!

I've seen someone else with a slow boot issue that wasn't there before he installed sp2

so far from what I've seen, I have already addressed the security issues, and the only reason for me to put it on as of yet is for better performance.

I'll wait a bit I think before I put it on my laptop...but of course it's prudent to put it on my dads box...I'll try to measure performance before and after on his

Has anyone that's having this "slow startup" problem tried deleting and rebuilding prefetch and/or running bootvis? Or even a boot time defrag?

I have every confidence that SP2 final will be as good as the earlier version of SP2 that you can currently get through the v5. windows update site, and its not often I use the word "confident" and "Microsoft" in the same scentence :)

so uh i installed sp2, and I'm not able to get the "Status bar" for folders to stay put... I enabled it, then went to folder view, apply to all folders, then when I open another folder or close the same folder and open it again, the status bar is gone...

(it doesnt work without the 'view-> apply to all folders' for one folder either)

anyone have an idea how to enable this?

oh and this might be off topic here, but I've lost my 'classic view' of control panel, and have no obvious option to get it back... any registry tweaks out there?

oh and this might be off topic here, but I've lost my 'classic view' of control panel, and have no obvious option to get it back... any registry tweaks out there?

having same problem. :(

w00kiec00kie said:
so uh i installed sp2, and I'm not able to get the "Status bar" for folders to stay put... I enabled it, then went to folder view, apply to all folders, then when I open another folder or close the same folder and open it again, the status bar is gone...

(it doesnt work without the 'view-> apply to all folders' for one folder either)

anyone have an idea how to enable this?
try enabling to all views from windows explorer instead of internet explorer

you have to do enable status bar > apply to all folder > and then close the window using File > Exit and then reopen it. Works for me.

Also i wonder why they didnt restore home edition / professional to the boot screens. Could it be to keep the same kernel for both home/pro?

I seem to have an issue with the firewall, it gets disabled every time i reboot the pc, and after trying to enable it, it says it has to start the ICS service (yet there is not ICS service on my services MMC window)

Cant seem to find an answer to this yet....:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back