Old SP2 News

J

Joel526

I'm suprised NTFS ain't had anything about the leaking of build 1185 of XP Service pack 2.

It has been all over. Just do a Google search for

xpsp2.030313-1931

Mister.de had two download links, neither of which worked when I tried them.

One was to another similar website where they had supposedly pulled it due to traffic and one was to a Chinese warez ftp.

(Readable/writeable /incoming directory.)

If you run an ftp and don't wish to provide this service, which can, among other problems, be expensive for the provider just in terms of bandwidth, make sure that anonymous cannot download stuff from /incoming and its subdirectories or don't provide a world-writeable /incoming at all.

probably because its so buggy. after all ths sh!t with SP1 beta's im not susprised its not on the software page :)

To each their own - I sat here and laughed at all the problems with SP1 Betas and waited and waited and finally got it off Windows Update after it had been out for a week and others expressed their thoughts and concerns.

Then I installed SP1 and had no problems - so:
IMHO -no thank you, who cares & I can wait!

Originally posted by damnyank
To each their own - I sat here and laughed at all the problems with SP1 Betas and waited and waited and finally got it off Windows Update after it had been out for a week and others expressed their thoughts and concerns.

Then I installed SP1 and had no problems - so:
IMHO -no thank you, who cares & I can wait!

cant agree more, i did exactly the same:cool:

Re: Re: xp service pack 2, build 1185

Originally posted by Enyo

And anyway as above who the hell wants to apply beta service packs if they are not offical testers? Whats the damn point?

So you can hose your system and then blame microsoft because you were stupid enough to load a beta software pack on your main pc. :blink:

People had enough problems with the offical release of SP1 why the hell would we want the beta SP2. I with damnyank wait till theres and official release then see what others have to say about it.

by the way dai, welcome to NTFS, I see this was your first post; don't let my sarcasm keep you from posting more!

Does SP2 contain SP1 plus whatever followed? I assume that's the intention.

Does SP2 contain SP1 plus whatever followed? I assume that's the intention.?

Can you imagine the size of sp2 if it included sp1 ? I would say its going to be apart .... you will need to have sp1 installed in order to install sp2 and have sp2 installed in order to have sp3 and .... in the not so far future sp4000 installed to install sp4001 lol

yeh kermit this one i thinks gonna be a biggy

its not so much the updates as they are just modified dlls and what not, but i heard their gonna put wmp9, dx9.0, msn m 5, and windows movie maker, so its gonna be big.

but beta service packs na way m8. if i had another box - maybe, but i dont wanna do a clean install after all of it and IMO thats what the beta testers do.

the furthest ive gone with betas is wmp9:cool:

hey enyo i download the whole lot and slip stream it mwhahahaha:D

dont know what all the fuss is about, does it really make any difference

Originally posted by Kermit
Does SP2 contain SP1 plus whatever followed? I assume that's the intention.?

Can you imagine the size of sp2 if it included sp1 ? I would say its going to be apart .... you will need to have sp1 installed in order to install sp2 and have sp2 installed in order to have sp3 and .... in the not so far future sp4000 installed to install sp4001 lol

You won't need to have SP1 installed to install SP2.

Service packs are cumulative. Every service pack is a "roll-up" of all previous service packs for that product – for instance, Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 6a includes every change made in Service Packs 1 through 5. Moreover, whenever we release a patch, we always include it in the next available service pack.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tr.../technet/columns/security/essays/srvpatch.asp

Btw agree with most posters. Absolutely no point in installing a leaked service pack on your main computer. Especially not such an early stage 'release' (not sure if it isn't a faked one anyway).

A new build of Windows XP SP 2 has escaped - now v1194 and built on the 1st of April - (no April fool). This looks as though it is just an update to 1185 - still just patches and fixes. The rumour now is that SP2 will allow two concurrent RD sessions when using a second generation Smart Display - this will enable a smart display to be used without kicking the current user off of the system. Check out the screenshots below. Note: In the second screenshot WMP9 and Windows Messenger are pre-installed versions prior to installing this SP. So WMP9 hasn't been updated and neither has Windows Messenger. This is just a hotfix build. We shouldn't see any major changes or updates to the SP until it hits beta which will hopefully be sometime soon. source:Neowin

Also I am sure the service packs are like the others. For example when you are running windows 2000 you just have to install SP3 and it has all the updates for SP1 and SP2.

Polar

I, being computer illiterate compaired to others on here, will wait until it comes out on the Windows Update for about a week or two. :)

Originally posted by yoyo
You won't need to have SP1 installed to install SP2.

Btw agree with most posters. Absolutely no point in installing a leaked service pack on your main computer. Especially not such an early stage 'release' (not sure if it isn't a faked one anyway).

Thats strange then why is it that if you go to office xp site and try to install the sp2 it will say you need sp1 first ? I guess maybe they only do that for office and not the OS?

Originally posted by Kermit
... I guess maybe they only do that for office and not the OS?

Exactly :)

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/support/issues/sp3faq.asp
Q. Does Windows 2000 SP3 include all the fixes that were included in Service Pack 1, Service Pack 2, and the Windows 2000 Security Rollup Package version 1?
A. Yes, service packs are cumulative, which means Windows 2000 SP3 includes all fixes from Windows 2000 Service Pack 1 (SP1), Windows 2000 Service Pack 2 (SP2), and the Windows 2000 Security Rollup Package version 1.
http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2002/oxpsp2.aspx
Important Prior to installing Office XP SP2, you must install Office XP Service Pack 1 (SP1).

Of course you'll need Sp1 installed first if you wanna install SP2. They aren't going to include all the fixes in SP1 in ADDITION to what they are fixing in SP2. Wouldnt make sense. The only way that you wont is if they release a cumulative patch....which would be a rather big download.

Example Windows 2000 sp1 87 mb, sp2 101 mb, sp3 124 mb.
They are getting bigger, but you can't just add the sizes. A Service Pack basicly means just new versions of OS files and a few new ones. So if let's say browselc.dll or whatever was replaced in SP1 and there is a new version in SP2 and SP3, there is no reason to include the outdated versions of the former service packs in the latest.
Hope this makes sense.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back