Old school video card vs New school on board video

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political Access
Are card graphics always better then on board graphics?

I got a new HP system at work, it has the Intel 915GL chipset. I also have an older 6600gt card lying around. Is that card going to be a step down or step up from the 915? I would guess the card has to be better, but, it is close to 3 years old. There are some comparison charts out there but they don't include on board video so I can't get a definitive answer. Any guesses?

I would believe the 6600GT would be better than the 915. There can be cases where an onboard might be better, but they are few and far between.

definitely.... my laptop's 915gl is not as good as my old voodoo 5

Yeah the 6600GT isn't that bad a card really, and should blow the 915GL out of the water, not to mention free up more of your RAM.

Are card graphics always better then on board graphics?

I got a new HP system at work, it has the Intel 915GL chipset. I also have an older 6600gt card lying around. Is that card going to be a step down or step up from the 915? I would guess the card has to be better, but, it is close to 3 years old. There are some comparison charts out there but they don't include on board video so I can't get a definitive answer. Any guesses?

The 6600gt would probably be better with the standard vga drivers than the 915GL would with the latest drivers :p. 6600gt is going to be better in every area of usage except probably power consumption, but who the hell cares about that?

Intel on baord video is pathetic. The nvidia and ATI/AMD on board are a little better. Someone (Toms?) actually compared one on board video to stand alone cards but usually no one bothers because it's too embarassing to the on baord stuff.

The 6600GT was a classic card and worth installing. I use an ancient voodoo 4500 in a system that has on board because it blows the socks off the on board.

That's what I thought. I like being right. Bad part now is that I opened the case and ... it's a true business class system. No PCIE port, so I'm stuck with on board. Luckily for me ... WoW still runs A-Ok.

Thanks for all the help!

I thought the 6600GT was AGP? Do you not have any expansion ports except standard PCI?

The 6600 GT came in PCI-e and AGP.

A plain old PCI card won't run much better than the onboard. The memory interface is way too slow.

Wow am I showing my age - I thought PCI came in with the 7 series lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back