Old Case Fans

M

MJS

I wasn't sure where to post this, but this is regarding case fans.

I am pretty new to all this, I am good at the software part and now ive just started to upgrade the hardware on my PC and my PC only has 2 fans (one built into the power supply and one above the heatsink on the processor).

I was thinking of buying a couple of new fans to keep the other parts of the PC cool when I salvaged 2 fans from my very old PC (AMD K6 233Mhz). The fans on this PC have old 2 Pin connectors. I tried plugging the fans into my new PC and they dont work. Im not sure if they are supposed to work on new motherboards or anything, but they worked fine on the old PC because I powered up to test them, but when I plug them into the new PC, there are no signs of life.....

Any advice?. I know the fans that I rescued are about 7 years old :eek: ... But if I can get some use out of them,,,, then great!

:)

i would doctor the cables to a yellow and a black off a 4 pin power out from the psu, the yellow is 12v, the red is 5v, blacks earth. then they will work, you probably tried to connect to the fan speed sensor or somthing daft.

once there working, get 1 blowing cool air into the front of the case, and mount the other at the back to draw it back out.

I'm not really sure what I did, but I found the only 2 pin connector on my mother board and it fit the 2 pin plug on the fans :eek:

This is the first time I have tried this, it will probably be easier to just buy some new ones, but if I can get the old ones working, it will save me some cash

Also, on the old fans, there are only 2 wires.... Red and Black :confused:

yes, but you musty join the red on the fan to the yellow from the power supply, as the yellow is 12v

I'm not really sure what I did, but I found the only 2 pin connector on my mother board and it fit the 2 pin plug on the fans

Look for any spare 3 pin connecters. There normaly neer your PC fan, put them in the same was as your pc fan, the 3rd ping is just for motherboard temp monitoring.

hmmm... as it goes, you might be thinking of a different 2 pin plug than I have. I have searched for 2 pin fan plugs on google and they have pictures that are different to what I have. The plug on the motherboard which mine fits into is a raised white block with 2 large pins comming from it, it is located away from everything else (on the bottom right, sort of below the CD drives and the hard drive

Plugging things in at random is dangerous, fried MB can result. Download the manual for your MB and find out what you are plugging into before you connect anything.

Check the fan labels and make sure they say 12Vdc on them. If they say anything else don't bother trying to use them.

If they are 12V and you can't spring for the $6 bucks each new fans cost then cut off the old conenctors and find some 4 pin molex adapters. Connect the black to the black on the 4 pin and the red to the yellow on the 4 pin. Make sure to tape over the wires you striped and twisted together to make the connections.

REMEMBER! A new MB/Processor and RAM cost a lot more than $12 if you mess up.

Yeah, good point.

I think I will go out and buy some new ones, sounds like too much bother to try getting the old ones to work :rolleyes:

Well, thanks for the help anyway

:)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back