ok, vista sux

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
this thing is WAY under developed

making ie an f7 shortcut will freeze this frigging thing at times, other times it just decides to freeze on it's own

start up is gruesome slow, finding settings is a pain in the ass, I can't delete folders from the "common tasks" and I wonder what the hell ms is thinking with this thing

so far it, needs work...tons of work

Eh?

:)

I ought to slap you :D

/me huggles his G-15 keyboard and his G-keys.

I live and die by short-cuts and they work just fine :) No lag, no freezes :D

Startup is not slow, as far as I have seen. It's faster than XP for me at least.

The common tasks folder? Which are you talking about?

I can delete pretty much any folders I want, no issues. Are you sure it simply not because of UAC? If UAC is acting up, you can turn it off for a short while and see if you like it any better that way.

Eh?

:)

I ought to slap you :D

/me huggles his G-15 keyboard and his G-keys.

I live and die by short-cuts and they work just fine :) No lag, no freezes :D

Startup is not slow, as far as I have seen. It's faster than XP for me at least.

The common tasks folder? Which are you talking about?

I can delete pretty much any folders I want, no issues. Are you sure it simply not because of UAC? If UAC is acting up, you can turn it off for a short while and see if you like it any better that way.
I am clueless, what is uac?

and are you shutting down or sleeping?...if your's is faster then xp then I have a ton of things to keep out of the startup folder I guess cuz this thing is brutal

I also got 4 bsod's already which is about the aggregate of my entire experience with xp

If you have a lot of things in the startup folder, that probably explains the slowdown :)

User Access Control is on by default under Vista. Look it up and turn it off if you feel relatively secure that you have decent knowledge of the o/s, it will not provide you with security prompts for many actions.

Fyi, mine is off.

I shut down and put my system to sleep, really depends but it comes back on w/o issues.

If you have a lot of things in the startup folder, that probably explains the slowdown :)

User Access Control is on by default under Vista. Look it up and turn it off if you feel relatively secure that you have decent knowledge of the o/s, it will not provide you with security prompts for many actions.

Fyi, mine is off.

I shut down and put my system to sleep, really depends but it comes back on w/o issues.
in the common tasks panel there is no delete button, I don't want to have to right click, is there an option for that?

I've been running Vista since the days NR started bragging about it. I've never had these issues or any major issue. I guess Vista is not for everyone at this point.

Vista is not for anyone except beta testers at this point.

in the common tasks panel there is no delete button, I don't want to have to right click, is there an option for that?

So let me get this straight :)

You'd rather move your mouse to common tasks and click on delete (which is not a common task btw, at least in Vista and was likely removed to prevent accidental clicking by noobs) than right-click/delete?

:eek:

What about just clicking delete?

Matt, Vista is simply the most refined o/s out there for the majority of tasks. I guess it isn't for everyone but there are just so many awesome things once you get past the ID 10 t errors that crop up ;)

Does that Kool-Aid taste good?

/me shrugs

Anyone with a registered (read, no jumping through hoops version) should find that after the initial, rather short learning curve, a lot of "vistas" open up. There is a lot more to the o/s than meets the eye.

So let me get this straight :)

You'd rather move your mouse to common tasks and click on delete (which is not a common task btw, at least in Vista and was likely removed to prevent accidental clicking by noobs) than right-click/delete?

:eek:

What about just clicking delete?

Matt, Vista is simply the most refined o/s out there for the majority of tasks. I guess it isn't for everyone but there are just so many awesome things once you get past the ID 10 t errors that crop up ;)

what are the refinements?...I don't see anything that's refined yet, point me to where I will appreciate these refinements too...maybe in the aero theme?...I don't have that but I guess I should get it

as far as delete being a common task, in my folders delete is surely a common task, it's in the tool pane in xp and I use it tons

when I want to bulk delete I hit edit, select all, click the delete button in common tasks...I like that tool...maybe it should be a user preferance or something

also I can't stack my downloads in time sequence...I know there are some view saving issues so I guess when that is solved I'll figure out how to view by time stamp

actually, I like clicking the delete button on my keyboard but sometimes I'm laying down and doing everything from my mouse

sazar, you haven't gotten more bsod's in vista then xp?

I've gotten 4 since I got this thing just a week or so ago, I don't think I've gotten 4 bsod's aggregate in all the time I've dealt with xp

and really, it's frozen and I've had to force it down at least 6 times...this can't be right, maybe it's the hardware on this laptop?...I have no outside hardware going on this thing so it's not unsupported hardware or anything like that

ok, I just went to the startup folder to see what I can shut off and it's empty, where does the os store the programs it starts cuz I guess this startup folder is legacy, nothings in it on my vista

my taskmanager says 67 processes, how many do you have going?

Last edited:
/me shrugs

I had one hang caused by a new Ati driver, fixed by a hotfix. No bsod's.

There is a thread of cool vista features as well, I think a sticky even :D

Check it out :)

Did you upgrade or do a clean install? It's highly unusual that you will have issues like 4 bsod's in such a short period unless there is a conflict somewhere with an application.

What does your reliability center tell you?

I've had applications shut down due to errors but not Vista (other than the 1 hang caused by the catalyst drivers, never before and since).

XP was pretty stable for me too.

-edit-

Come on the irc channel and let us know what's up :D

/me shrugs

I had one hang caused by a new Ati driver, fixed by a hotfix. No bsod's.

There is a thread of cool vista features as well, I think a sticky even :D

Check it out :)

Did you upgrade or do a clean install? It's highly unusual that you will have issues like 4 bsod's in such a short period unless there is a conflict somewhere with an application.

What does your reliability center tell you?

I've had applications shut down due to errors but not Vista (other than the 1 hang caused by the catalyst drivers, never before and since).

XP was pretty stable for me too.

-edit-

Come on the irc channel and let us know what's up :D
it's a brand new laptop with vista preinstalled

I'm at work and won't be able to go into chat.

That's part of your problem. You need to reinstall the OS without the bloat.

What version of Vista? I'll send you an OEM disc.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back