ok, vista sux

that'l be cool matt, I'll get the information to you later today

btw

my event viewer (nice feature for sure) tells me my dllhost is failing

this is an os dll handling tool of some sort, I don't know what the issue is with it, but that's what's failing when the os goes down

now, I don't know if that record shows the dllhost failing becuase I forced the computer off or that failure cuased the computer to freeze and then I forced the os down

the host failure might be the tail wagging the dog

Last edited:
After reinstalling I am certain your problems will be next to none.

my event viewer (nice feature for sure) tells me my dllhost is failing

this is an os dll handling tool of some sort, I don't know what the issue is with it, but that's what's failing when the os goes down

now, I don't know if that record shows the dllhost failing becuase I forced the computer off or that failure cuased the computer to freeze and then I forced the os down

the host failure might be the tail wagging the dog
if the event user had an "time of failure" in addition to the date I would be able to nail down which caused which

I would be able to tell if the computer was forced down after or before teh dllhost failed

is there are plug int get time of failure somewhere? there's no option in "view"

Vista is incredibly sensitive to faulty hardware and buggy drivers. If a clean install doesn't make the machine stable, reinstall from the recovery partition and go bitch at the laptop vendor :)

So, does it still suck for you Perris?

:smoker:
well, I shut off the sandbox and some hp momitering utility and that sped up the boot so that made me happy but I like the sandbix and am disappointed that Imm not running it

I uninstalled norton and went to avg and that seemed to smoothe out the box allso

however I am still getting blue screens out of nowhere

also out of nowhere I am still freezing up and havig to force the unit down

on blue screen I am told an app is writing to protected memory and I am disturbed this will bluescreen and there should be some other method for the os to isolate theb a blue screen

I happen to believe my hardrive is causing the freeze amd am going to swap boxes

I am rue ro install a clean version of vista since this is a laptop and I want to keep my hardware buttons

Last edited:
It does seem that the issues are notebook related and not related to the OS.

By the way, I would highly suggest using the sleep function :)

The total of about 5 seconds to go to sleep and recover (I said total, not each) makes it far more attractive than Shutdown/Restart :)

You might have to get used to it, but it's a great way to go and Vista just does it right.

I use sleep but it takes forever to shut down...maybe I'm in hybernate, I'll check

another thing that's pissing me off it is doesn't warn me when the battery is so low it wants to sleep

I think the baloon thingy goes up on the bottom but this is a huge screen and the balloon isn't noticeable...I loved the warning box on xp

edit

ya, I had it set to hybernate, will switch to sleep now

There is something definitely going on here with factory installed components it seems.

I know HP had a lot of issues initially, as did many vendors going with a "hey, we dedicated a gajillion bucks in our Vista program for our new systems" so you might be catching the back-end of it here.

I think you need to dump a lot of the bogus crap on your system and start fresh. I cannot imagine anything you can possibly have on your notebook that can't be installed later.

Well you take this for what its worth but seems to have a bit of ring of truth to it

Windows Vista unreadiness revealed

Microsoft has finally outlined the extent to which Windows Vista was unfit for the marketplace when it launched six months ago.

A mere 650 applications were certified for Vista when it launched, compared to 2,000 now. Seventy "critical" enterprise applications from corporate mainstays such as Cisco Systems, Nortel Networks, McAfee, Citrix Systems, Oracle, SAP and IBM are "being resolved daily."

On hardware, 600,000 devices have been certified in the six months since launch, now making Windows Vista compatible with 2.1 million devices.

The numbers were offered by chief operating officer Kevin Turner, who tried to rally Wall Street analysts to the Microsoft flag of software - including Windows Vista - plus services.

Turner joined other senior executives at Microsoft's annual financial analyst summit to paint a future of Windows running on multiple devices and even inside table tops, with the recently unveiled surface computing - which runs on Windows Vista.

Based on Turner's excuses for the lack of Windows Vista certification, it seems users can expect future editions of the Windows client to also fall short on software and hardware support as Microsoft tries to target ever-more diverse systems in its strategy as a consumer device company.

Source
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/26/windows_vista_drivers/

Seriously :)

The issue has been and continues to be the absolute lack of foresight by 3'rd party vendors of hardware AND software.

After the initial issues (the same ones, mind) that faced XP when it first came out, I would have expected there to be much better support.

Thankfully I have yet to suffer any issues related to drivers for all the hardware attached to my computer, but I can easily see how this could be an issue for a number of people out there.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back