ok so i got this shell

Y

yiannit

i just downloaded a gnome shell32.dll how do i install it?

go in safe-mode and replace the shell32.dll you are using with the one you downloaded and reboot. voila all the icons are changed....

i did it through command prompt the icons werent changed, am i supposed to put the icons in a certain folder? like in the the system32 folder?

And how would you tell Windows that there a icons in a folder in System32? You can indeed. Most icons can be changed through registry settings.

If you decide to do it by replacing shell32.dll, first make sure that you really have changed the file. Windows File Protection may have changed it back again to the original. You have to rename the backup copy in Windows\system32\dllcache or Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 first.

In case you have the desired new shell32.dll in place and the icons still don't change refreshing the icon cache may help. Either use TweakUI's icon repair function or delete the IconCache.db file in C:\Documents and Settings\ Local Settings \username \Application Data. It will be recreated.

dllcache is a hidden folder. Do you have show hidden files enabled in folder options?

Unless you did not remove it, it must be there. Paste this %SystemRoot%\system32\dllcache in the run dialogue and hit enter.
If the folder really isn't there, the problem with your not changing icons must have other reasons. Windows file protection can't retrieve a backup copy if there isn't one.

Did you use any icon changing programs in the past that may have changed the registry settings? Do you now have the default Windows icons?

i used e-icon to change them
it couldn't find the directory either

So you probably did replace the shell32.dll, but it just sits there and is doing nothing because e-icons changed the registry settings. Guess you will have to restore the default Windows settings in e-icons first.

after trying to copy the shell file, it says it cannot because its being used by a different user or program, same thing happens in safe mode or cmd prompt

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back