Ok now what?

I found something totally different when I clicked on the sharing tab for the hard drive on my old laptop. It did not have any of the blue lettering. All it had was a choice between sharing the drive and not sharing the drive. I took a screenshot of the tab and am attaching it.

I tried clicking to share the drive and mapping it on the new computer but it didn't show up on the new comp.

Also the lan connection on my new comp still says the cable is unplugged and it is still repeatedly briefly connecting and disconnecting on the old one.

oops helps if I attach the pic :eek:

Attachments

• c drive sharing.JPG
    c drive sharing.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 50
share this folder is what you would want. though if the lan cable on the new keeps saying its disconnected sound's like back nic or bad cable

chastity said:
share this folder is what you would want. though if the lan cable on the new keeps saying its disconnected sound's like back nic or bad cable
Seconded. It shouldn't keep dis/reconnecting. I know you purchased that cable recently. Can you take the new Laptop somewhere with a network and plug in to it (to check the nic)? You would need a standard patch cable (not a crossover). Work/School maybe?

Ok sorry for not getting back sooner. I tried to fiddle around with the old computer a little more and I ended up messing up my hard drive (it would get as far as the blue win XP screen before the logon screen (didn't even know that screen existed till now) and then stop loading. I had to dig out the old hard drive, slap it back into the system and stick the current drive in the enclosure, grab all my personal files and re-image the old drive onto the current drive (which wasn't a pretty situation). So I've been updating everything again from March 1st.

I've pretty much decided to give up on connecting the two computers at this point and just let things as they are. Thanks again everyone for all the help.

Well hopefully you learned something. Networking can be every annoying etc at times but generally simiple though I've never tried with a crossover cable though

chastity said:
Well hopefully you learned something. Networking can be every annoying etc at times but generally simiple though I've never tried with a crossover cable though

Umm let's see here.....

1)I learned not to click the auto-borking button (aka the ok button :D ) on the computer without fully knowing what pressing the button will do.
2)Don't ever assume anything when taking computer advice off ppl. Even if it seems like common sense.
3)It is possible to continue using a hard drive beyond Internet Explorer, DR. Watson, and Firefox crashing but it becomes difficult/impossible to use it after explorer.exe crashes and freezes the system.
4)It's time to seriously think about changing isp's.
5)Exactly what happens when you turn off the share this folder choice and try to restart my old computer.
6)Telling your computer "Look, I'm bigger than you so you can't possibly win" won't get it to work any better than threatening to make it fly out the window on the end of a bat.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back