Ok, need new wires for my Klipsch 4.1 setup.. but cheaper than $60!

T

ThePunkerGuy

Ok, i just got the Klipsch ProMedia 4.1 speakers. Like everyone says.. the wire included is cheap. My speakers crackle and if i move the wire in the back they crackle.. i need new wires. But i cannot afford to pay $59.99 for the monster cable set on their website http://store.klipsch.com/details.asp?prodID=21 .. i just dont have that much money. So.. does anyone know where i can buy some better quality speaker cable with the mono-mini plugs on one end, and bare wire on the other? Well.. let me know if you guys can think of a solution that is cheaper than the $60 kit on their site. Thanks.
- Mike

Go to the hardware store and buy some zip cable. This is the brown 2 conductor flat cable like you would see on a lamp for your end table. This zip cable is (or has been) copper and you can get a pretty heavy gage. It is sold off the real by the foot. You can get ends for the plugs at Radio Shack.......

:happy:

I am guessing 16 gauge would be the best for my setup since that is what the monster cable set sold by klipsch is. Which would be better quality.. 16 gauge speaker wire, or 16 gauge lamp wire?
- Mike

Will this wire work.. it is $0.09 a foot..
lampwire.jpg
a very good price for me, as i will need about 80 feet :) It is 18gauge, but i am sure its allot better than what i have now right? (its probably 24 gauge or some crap i bet). So would that wire do well? And also, they have the same wire, but white.. and it is $0.18 a foot.. wonder why it is twice as much? Do you think it would matter? Would the $0.09 a foot wire work just fine?

16 ga is 16 ga. The thing about speaker wire is that as a rule it is stiffer because they use fewer strands of copper wire to get the 16 ga rating. Lamp wire uses more strands and there by is more flexible. The lower the gage the better, i.e. 14 ga would be better than 16 ga. The wire is larger and will handle more power with less loss. Also make sure that the wire is copper and not aluminum. Copper is a better conductor of the signal that you want to get to your speakers from the amplifier. The fact that one is made for speaker ( has a really cool jacket, clear,red,green, etc.) does not make it work better for that application. The zip (lamp) cable will work just as well if not better IMHO. Again the size of the wire ( 16 ga is good, 14 ga is better, 12 ga damn good) along with the kind of conductor (copper is best) is what will give you the max performance.

The plugs should be gold plated for best results but the standard shiny metal will work for you as well. If money is a factor then look at all choices and then decide. One thing that you want to watch is that the plugs you get will work well with 16 ga, if you go with 14 or 12 ga then you will have problems getting the wire to fit onto the plug for physical reasons. If you are going to be under 100' for the length of wire per speaker then the 16 ga will work just fine....... Again make sure it is copper wire and that it is stranded not solid wire.

:happy:

Yea the clear 18 ga will work just as well as the white 18 ga as long as they are both copper conductor. The white has a higher cost to make it white. If you only need 80' total for all of your speakers combine then that should work just fine for you..

Ok, so the 18gauge should work fine? I think that 18 should be suffecient.. much better than the 22ga included with the system.
- Mike

I wonder, you pay so much for the speakers...can't they come with high quality wire allready? :huh: Cheap.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back