ok guys. please help me.

a dreams forever

OSNN Addict
I got this PC a little while back. It's a presario SR2170NX. It came with windows vista. I didn't like vista so I let a friend of mine format and put my windows xp on the machine. I wanted to update my bios for my motherboard today so I went to the website and downloaded the file. The only problem is that it says it's for windows vista. Can I install the bios upgrade anyways? or will it give problems? Is there anyway I can get a windows XP version of the file? Motherboard manufacturer's name: ECS RC415ST-HM HP/Compaq name: Alhena5-GL6 If not, that sucks. I went to go to the recovery partition and it wasn't there. He deleted the partition with the recovery files on it. What can I do? Anyway I can get the cd somewhere? This computer never came with a product key to reinstall vista anyways. I was going to install vista premium that came with the laptop I just got but the version on this computer was basic anyways so the product key would not work. Argh. Anyone have any suggestions on what the hell I should do?

i have never heard of a bios being for a specific OS before - it might have something that gets updated and vista likes this, unless its an OEM bios and is required for vista, im sure you should be ok to update the bios and install xp

well i found my cd key. i never knew it was on the computer itself lol.. I have an install disc of home premium, will my product key for windows vista home basic work with that cd?

I have a p4 3ghz, 2gigs ram, radeon x1950 pro. The strongest games that I run is team fortress 2 and counter-strike source. will it be ok to have vista?

Last edited:
when you go to install and it asks for you key - refuse - select it to install home basic - install then add your key, the vista dvds ship with all versions of vista on it - its just the key that liits you

This isn't actually a cd of windows. It is a disc that came with the gateway laptop (it's all cow printed as well-hah). it never once asked for the cd key. it just installed and when I checked, the cd key on the back of the laptop was already there and it said I had 30 days to activate. I installed it on this machine from that disc already but I couldn't find my cd key so I just put xp back on. when it is done installing and it shows the cd key, can i just change it to the one I have?

where you click the link to activate it there should be a link saying change key - or something, use your basic key there and then activate it

awesome. ty for the info. :)

installing now. hope everything goes well. it will install windows without asking for a cd key. I just go to my computer properties and click on the "change cd key" link when it is done installing? I've used this cd key on this computer before, will it give me trouble saying that the cd key is already activated or anything?

Last edited by a moderator:
shouldnt do - just dont d/l any updates first - i have installed using this key and its been activated a few times

damnit.. :(

doesn't work. says i need a premium cd key.

any suggestions on what I should do?

so it wont let you change the key? i thought all vista dvds shipped with all versions on them

it lets me change it but when i try to activate it it says i need to upgrade to premium. As I stated above. "This isn't actually a cd of windows. It is a disc that came with the gateway laptop (it's all cow printed as well-hah)." It says windows home premium on the cover of it.

anything i can do or do i need to find me a vista disc somewhere?

it lets me change it but when i try to activate it it says i need to upgrade to premium. As I stated above. "This isn't actually a cd of windows. It is a disc that came with the gateway laptop (it's all cow printed as well-hah)." It says windows home premium on the cover of it.
If it's the licence key that came with the laptop it should match the restore disc that came with the laptop also.
As you've said the disc has premium plastered over it, does the key label state basic?
You're using the key that is printed on the label affixed to the laptop chassis right?

@Carpo, I may be wrong but I thought only Ultimate has the other versions available?

Hah, I think I was mis-understood hugely. This computer, the compaq, originally came with windows vista home basic. I gave it to a friend to put XP on it. While he put XP on it he deleted my partition with the compaq recovery. I have been living with windows XP pro on this computer. I don't game on this computer much anymore so I want to install vista on it. I have no vista disc, only the partition that got deleted.

I got a brand new laptop 4 days ago and it has vista home premium on it. I thought I can use the disc that came with the laptop to install vista on my desktop (the compaq). When it was done installing on my desktop it wasn't activated and I didn't know where my compaq home basic cd key was so I uninstalled vista and put xp back on. I found my cd key for the compaq and my original question was if i can use my home basic cd key to use with the gateway laptop vista install cd.

no - you will need the right key with the right disc, you could always see if compaq have anything on their site that could help you - if you have a service tage on your machine they should

onlything i see is they will send you the disc if they have the option available, which they don't.

is there anyway to show a legit cd key to microsoft and be able to download it off of them?

ok. one more question.

will the cd key work if I borrow someone's windows vista home basic cd or do I need the actual cd from compaq?

I'd contact the manufacturer of the laptop that has the borked restore partition. Ask nicely if they'll send you a disc, this is highly unlikely though as it will be an OEM install.
You'll probably be able to (at an inflated cost I'd imagine) get the partition restored at least by them, maybe the OS.

You could beg/steal/borrow from someone you know who has one (OEM Install disc) After all the licence is valid, and that's the important thing.
Using an OEM key with a retail copy of Vista is a no go.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back