oh my oh my HD problem

N

niabi

I had a nice bold HD crash last night, my 40 g IBM Desktar kinda died, i said kinda because the BIOS and XP do recognise the drive, but XP will not mount it at all, it will only show in the hardware profile but i cannot access it, my questions is:

Is there a proram that will let me do a chkdsk (or some other disk check) when the drive is not "mounted" ?

I found a program to recover data from disks that are not mounted (R-Studio) but not one to check for errors, i have recovered all the data i need but as a last resort i want to try and check the disk for errors see if they are "fixable"

Thanks in advance for the help

nIabI

its NTFS :(

i knew about spinrite but thanks for the info anyways.

nIabI

niabi, what kind of deskstar was it? 60gxp? how long have you had it? has it been abused? did it give any kind of signs that it was going to die?

i'm wondering cuz i have 3 deskstars. thanks.

i used to have a deskstar, and the power shot on it :/

id find the hdd would turn off (in the middle of doing stuff - one time during a format) and then turn on afterwards.

I thought it was the PSU at first, but then after I installed a new PSU, it still happened... got a Quantum Fireball+ AS - and its so damn quiet - it dont get so hot either :D

IBM drives are the junk

I like my Quantum fireball, even has that neat LED on the drive itself, and I like my WD's so far, had an IBM go on me about 6 months ago, and they have a bad reputation for being very problematic

Originally posted by taurus
i'm wondering cuz i have 3 deskstars. thanks.
I feel sorry for you. I have 3 as well. Two have died and been replaced*. I won't store anything important on those anymore!

*The only perk was that the 18Gb disk was replaced by a 30Gb :D

yep, the drive would sometimes turn off and on again, making a wierd noise, i suspected it was goin to die but i didn't realize it was so close, since its been only like 1 year (and 1 week) since i had it, 1 week after the warranty was due the drive died :(

i can access it with a program like R-Studio but i guess the drive is dead otherwise

i am NEVER gona buy an IBM again.

and my Desktar is 40g (DTLA-305040)

nIabI

Originally posted by blinden
I like my Quantum fireball, even has that neat LED on the drive itself

hehehe... me too :p

/me wubs his Quantum

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

its just annoying when the hdd cost some of us over £100 and it didnt even last a year - even worse when its out of warranty :'(

Best drives and most reliable are the Segate drives!

seagates are noisy tho :(

my comps loud enough sometimes...

Originally posted by beatlesdb
Best drives and most reliable are the Segate drives!

wewt!......darn right they are!

loud...no...my 40gb is quieter than any other drive i've had.

unless the harddrive sounds like a chainsaw, my priority is performance. the 'specil edition' western digital's are pretty sweet. and i'm sure ibm's pretty much taken care of any serious reliability problems with it's new 120gxp's, which are also damn sporty.

then again, i'm not in the market for another hd. i've had my 75gxp (oldest, supposedly least reliable) for over 2 years and no problems. my 2 60gxp's are over a year old and are perfect as well. 95 gigs is enough for me.

on the other hand my dad's 60gxp went out after only 5 months. he went and got himself a plain w.d. and i have yet to rma the ibm (he didn't want to bother) and add it to my collection. }:>

OK, I have said it before if an companies products were complete crap then they wouldnt make them I have had IBM drives go bad on me (I dont own IBM anymore) a friend of mine has had his for ages with no problems though. I have had WD go bad, not many though. I now have Maxtor, both are fine and very quiet, but no doubt as time goes one I will have a problem with it. Seagate I have never tried.

the new maxtors are quiet... i assume the issue with heat has been sorted by maxtors? cuz i noticed if a maxtor was in a warm system (me m8 lost a maxtor thru a damn voodoo banshee - i told him to leave the lid off the case) they'd fail pretty easily...

i posted on another thread about comparisons of speed and sound.

the ibm was quickest, the quantum closely 2nd, and seagate lagging 3rd.

the quantum was the quietest, the ibm closely 2nd and the seagate classed with belt sanders :/

Originally posted by niabi
since its been only like 1 year (and 1 week) since i had it, 1 week after the warranty was due the drive died :(
Woha! Wait! IBM has 3-year World Wide warrenty on Deskstar drives! It's not too late yet! :)

(You maybe even have time to use the warranty one more time after this...:eek:)

3 years? since when? all deskstar drives? can you find proof, cuz i can't? thanks.

the manufacturer should have a diagnostic program available for download. usually works by using a boot disk....if not I have a maxtor 40GB for sale :)

Originally posted by niabi
yep, the drive would sometimes turn off and on again, making a wierd noise, i suspected it was goin to die but i didn't realize it was so close, since its been only like 1 year (and 1 week) since i had it, 1 week after the warranty was due the drive died :(

i can access it with a program like R-Studio but i guess the drive is dead otherwise

i am NEVER gona buy an IBM again.

and my Desktar is 40g (DTLA-305040)

nIabI

It's the drive. I had a 42 GIG that died 4 months after I Bought it. Started making strange noises and would not boot up past the post. Got it replaced (warranty), but I went out and got another one a 40 GIG (a newer model 40 GIGs actual space not 42 anymore) is doing well so far. They have a 3 year manufacturers warranty. So send it to IBM. You gotta go to IBM's web site and get a return product authorization. Takes about 2 weeks to get it back.

I was told and had read that the 42 GIG (don't remember part No.) Deskstars had problems. They were listed as 40 GIG but they had 42 GIGs of space on them. The newer 40 GIG deskstars are supposed to be better. Jury is still out on that one. :p

Originally posted by taurus
3 years? since when? all deskstar drives? can you find proof, cuz i can't? thanks.

Yes all Deskstars. Go to the IBM web site and do a search on product return or warranty claim in *Support*. It will ask for info on the HD (model No. and serial No.), you type it in and it tells you about the warranty and what to do to submit the claim. It will generate an authorization form and number for you to send with your defective HD.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back