Official OSNN Grammar Improvement Thread

Derek, respect your elders. =\

When something already ends in s, you don't need to add another one. For example, Jesus' sandles.

One family owns one pair of sandles? How do they know which person gets to wear them?

-----

-->Jesus's computer<--
Jesus is one person, who owns a computer. (A personal computer)
(Pronounced jesus-is)

-->Jesus' computer<--
Jesus is a family of more than one person, which owns one computer. (A family computer)
(Pronounced Jesus-is)

-----

I think that is right, please correct me if I'm wrong.

What about "Microsoft is" versus "Microsoft are".

"Are" looks so awkward to me. Yes, we refer to a company in the plural, saying "they", thus we logically say "they are". This bring a new conundrum, though: a corporation is a singular entity, so all references to it in the plural are incorrect.

Last edited:
One family owns one pair of sandles? How do they know which person gets to wear them?

-----

-->Jesus's computer<--
Jesus is one person, who owns a computer. (A personal computer)
(Pronounced jesus-is)

-->Jesus' computer<--
Jesus is a family of more than one person, which owns one computer. (A family computer)
(Pronounced Jesus-is)

-----

I think that is right, please correct me if I'm wrong.
I've been away a while, and just stumbled upon this thread. According to this link, this is how the the possessive form of words ending in 's' works:
Here, the usual rule is to add apostrophe + s ('s) to the s-ending singular as long as pronouncing the extra syllable (which sounds like "iz" or "ziz") is not awkward. Thus, we have: James's house, Tess's car, and the boss's office. Some s-ending singular nouns, however, become awkward to say if we add "iz" or "ziz" to them. Try sounding out "Jesus(iz) teachings," "Moses(iz) laws," or "Sophocles(iz) plays." It's tough. Thus, in these instances, we use only the apostrophe: Jesus' teachings, Moses' laws, or Sophocles' plays. In such instances, though, we should try to avoid using the possessive case altogether and write: the teachings of Jesus, the laws of Moses, the plays of Sophocles.

Dangling-Stamp1.gif

<insert comment about threads, life after death and batman>

Please check thread dates when posting...

There are a couple of exceptions to this though. When something already ends in s, you don't need to add another one. For example, Jesus' sandles.

sandALS.

my first post in about four years, and this was the best I could do... :suprised:

oh for shame! hehe :p

(thanks for the e-mail EP :))

What?!? Cooler than learning about grammar? I'd like to see it!

:p

you know, i've never noticed that matt is m.i.a....

but yeah, this is one useful thread.

i tried writing that best i could, so it looks like i've learnt smth xD

yeah, haha ;D it may take a while getting used to that

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back