Official OSNN Grammar Improvement Thread

ray_gillespie

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
Hi guys,

I've noticed that there are quite a few grammatical errors in the posts on OSNN, so I thought I'd make this thread to help people get it right :)

Plurals:

Right, some examples. The plural of CPU is CPUs. The plural of PSU is PSUs. There is no need for an apostrophe (') when pluralising a word. All initialisms should be in capital letters. CPU is correct, cpu isn't. Now, this doesn't normally matter, but when an itialism is pluralised, it looks a bit odd unless it's in capitals. For examples, cpus seems a bit weird, CPUs looks and is fine.
Another one that confuses people is when a word ends in y. The plural of story is stories. Take away the y and replace it with ies.

Apostrophes:

Generally, apostrohes are used when letters are missing or when something owns something else. For example, I can't open this case. The word can't is short for cannot so an apostrophe is used to show that there are missing letters.
When an something owns something else, an apostrophe is used to show which part of the sentence is the owner. For example, Peter's computer. An apostrophe is used, followed by an s. This can be extended to situations where ownership is more loosely definied, for example, my CPU's pins are damaged or NVIDIA's new drivers are crap. There are a couple of exceptions to this though. When something already ends in s, you don't need to add another one. For example, Jesus' sandles.
Also, the words it and who do not follow this rule - My dog just ate its food is actually correct; there is no apostrophe. For the word who, it just becomes whose. For example, the person whose computer is the fastest will win a prize. When you use it's and who's, you are using the "missing letters" rule - it's means it is and who's means who is.

Well, I hope that's helpful for some of you. Please post back any questions or other tips you may have! If you want any other grammar rules explained, just ask :)

Good idea for a post.

I'm sure some people will already have seen this, however it's a nice reference:
#1: Loose for lose
No: I always loose the product key.

Yes: I always lose the product key.

#2: It's for its (or god forbid, its')
No: Download the HTA, along with it's readme file.

Yes: Download the HTA, along with its readme file.

No: The laptop is overheating and its making that funny noise again.

Yes: The laptop is overheating and it's making that funny noise again.

#3: They're for their for there
No: The managers are in they're weekly planning meeting.

Yes: The managers are in their weekly planning meeting.

No: The techs have to check there cell phones at the door, and their not happy about it.

Yes: The techs have to check their cell phones at the door, and they're not happy about it.

#4: i.e. for e.g.
No: Use an anti-spyware program (i.e., Ad-Aware).

Yes: Use an anti-spyware program (e.g., Ad-Aware).

Note: The term i.e. means "that is"; e.g. means "for example". And a comma follows both of them.

#5: Effect for affect
No: The outage shouldn't effect any users during work hours.

Yes: The outage shouldn't affect any users during work hours.

Yes: The outage shouldn't have any effect on users.

Yes: We will effect several changes during the downtime.

Note: Impact is not a verb. Purists, at least, beg you to use affect instead:

No: The outage shouldn't impact any users during work hours.

Yes: The outage shouldn't affect any users during work hours.

Yes: The outage should have no impact on users during work hours.

#6: You're for your
No: Remember to defrag you're machine on a regular basis.

Yes: Remember to defrag your machine on a regular basis.

No: Your right about the changes.

Yes: You're right about the changes.

#7: Different than for different from
No: This setup is different than the one at the main office.

Yes: This setup is different from the one at the main office.

Yes: This setup is better than the one at the main office.

#8 Lay for lie
No: I got dizzy and had to lay down.

Yes: I got dizzy and had to lie down.

Yes: Just lay those books over there.

#9: Then for than
No: The accounting department had more problems then we did.

Yes: The accounting department had more problems than we did.

Note: Here's a sub-peeve. When a sentence construction begins with If, you don't need a then. Then is implicit, so it's superfluous and wordy:

No: If you can't get Windows to boot, then you'll need to call Ted.

Yes: If you can't get Windows to boot, you'll need to call Ted.

#10: Could of, would of for could have, would have
No: I could of installed that app by mistake.

Yes: I could have installed that app by mistake.

No: I would of sent you a meeting notice, but you were out of town.

Yes: I would have sent you a meeting notice, but you were out of town

Glue is good, especially in this case. Good work Ray.

Oooh nice additions Speedy! Thanks for the kind words Matt.

Cheers for the glue Lord :)

effect is a noun
affect is a verb

It is slightly pedantic perhaps but it would be nice to see the general quality of internet grammar improve

Let's not forget our punctuation for our sentences.

Hi guys,

I've noticed that there are quite a few grammatical errors in the posts on OSNN, so I thought I'd make this thread to help people get it right. :)

Well, I hope that's helpful for some of you. Please post back any questions or other tips you may have! If you want any other grammar rules explained, just ask. :)

Notice the addition of periods at the end of the above sentences.
I'm just messing around. It's a very good post to keep in mind.

Spelling shouldn't be a problem with the plethora of spell checking options which exist. Though maybe temporarily banning people who consistently make spelling errors could be fun. :p

I have always been taught that IE was as it is what it was, what it is, for rizzle standing, alone, what it is representing, west side, east side, In Example. IE, Err Go, vis a vie',',',',',',',','.

I have always been taught that IE was as it is what it was, what it is, for rizzle standing, alone, what it is representing, west side, east side, In Example. IE, Err Go, vis a vie',',',',',',',','.

Vis-a-vis you mean :smoker:

¿Ver-e-rar?

I lurned to speel using hoeked on foeniks!!!! I made my mommy vary proud.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I've wanted to remove apostrophes from messages for ages. As for an apostrophe, when in doubt, leave it out.
Merri

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back