Office XP Administrator Install Point??

S

Scott31

Can someone please tell me how to apply Office XP service pack 2 to an administrator install point on the network share? My goal is to deploy the Office XP msi file through group policy. When users reboot their machine, I would like Office XP (msi) to install with the latest service pack.

So far, I downloaded the admin version of service pack 2 which is two .msp files, one to upgrade the msi file and the other to upgrade the web componets file. I know they have to be applied separetly by following the below procedure by Microsoft. The only problem is, when I type in the command, I receive the error message, "This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exsists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package." Here is the command I typed:

msiexec /a Admin Path\MSI File /p C:\Oxpsp2a\MSP File SHORTFILENAMES=1

Here is the procedure I followed from Microsoft:

Administrative Update
If you installed any of the products listed at the beginning of this article from a server location, the server administrator must update the server location with the administrative public update and deploy that update to your computer.

If you are the server administrator, follow these steps to download the administrative update:
Visit the following Microsoft Web site:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/officexpstandard/sp/oxpsp2/w98nt42kmexp/en-us/oxpsp2a.exe

Download the file to your desktop.
In Windows Explorer, double-click Oxpsp2a.exe.
Click Yes to accept the License Agreement.
In the Please type the location where you want to place the extracted files box, type C:\Oxpsp2a, and then click OK.
Click Yes when you are prompted to create the folder.
If you are familiar with the procedure for updating your administrative installation, click Start and then click Run. Type the following command in the Open box

msiexec /a Admin Path\MSI File /p C:\Oxpsp2a\MSP File SHORTFILENAMES=1

where Admin Path is the path to your administrative installation point for Office XP (for example, C:\OfficeXP),

where MSI File is the .msi database package for the Office XP product (for example, ProPlus.msi), and

where MSP File is the name of the public administrative installation update.

NOTE: You can append /qb+ to the command line, so that the Office XP Administrative Installation dialog box and the End User License Agreement dialog box do not appear.
To deploy the update to the client workstations, click Start, and then click Run. Type the following command in the Open box

msiexec /i Admin Path\MSI File REINSTALL=Feature List REINSTALLMODE=vomus

where Admin Path is the path to your administrative installation point for Office XP (for example, C:\OfficeXP),

where MSI File is the MSI database package for the Office XP product (for example, ProPlus.msi), and

where Feature List is the list of feature names (case sensitive) that have to be reinstalled for the update. To install all features, you can use REINSTALL=ALL.
NOTE: After you update your administrative installation, do not run Setup.exe, which you might have done for earlier versions of Microsoft Office. Instead, use the command line in step 8 to update your client installations.

Administrative Installation For additional information about how to update your administrative installation and deploy to client workstations, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
301348 OFFXP: How to Install a Public Update to an Administrative Installation

This article contains standard instructions for installing an administrative public update.

Or, you can see the following article in the Microsoft Office XP Resource Kit:

Please help...

Scott31 please do not post the same topic more than once... post and then wait for a reply. Cross posting is not allowed and your other post has been deleted.

I used the commands in this form and they worked without a problem :

msiexec /p C:\Oxpsp2a\MAINSP2ff.msp /a C:\OfficeXP\PROPLUS.MSI shortfilenames=true /qb /L* F:\Office_XP\office_sp2.txt
msiexec /p C:\Oxpsp2a\Owc10SP2ff.msp /a C:\OfficeXP\OWC10.MSI shortfilenames=true /qb /L* F:\Office_XP\owc_sp2.txt

(assuming that the msp files are in C:\Oxpsp2a and your Office administrative install point is in C:\OfficeXP).

Are you sure you typed all path and file names correctly?

Thank you for replying. I'm confused as to why your path for your admin install point (.msi) you are pointing to the local machine. I was pointing mine to the network share. We have a folder on the network where we copied the Office XP cd contents. The only file in that folder is "pro.msi" not "proplus.msi." Am I missing something? Thank you for helping me out.

Proplus.msi is Office XP with frontpage Pro.msi probably Office XP professional, just another version, Iguess. Your commands should of course match your filenames and the actual location of the files.
Did you copy the cd content to the folder or did you create an administrative installpoint (i.e. insert the cd, and run setup.exe /a)?

I copied the cd content to the folder on the network share. Do I point it to the local installation of Office or the content of the cd on the network share?

I'm sorry...I forgot to mention, yes...there is a administrative install point on the network share. Again, do I point my path to that or the local installation of Office?

You again said "the content of the cd...", an administrative installation point is not just copying the cd to a folder. If you did run setup.exe /a to create this install point you will have to point the commands to it, wherever you created it, in your case the network share.

Enyo,

That website is great. Thank you very much. I'll try it out.
One other question, how would I deploy the updated version of Office by active directory in group policy. The article on this site (notoriousnetworks.com) mentions to run a detect and repair to update the version of Office. Because I work on a college campus with many computers, I would much prefer to use group policy. Any suggestions?

Ok here is the sp2log.log the install generated when I followed the procedure from the site above...notoriousnetworks.com:

This happened in step 4 where I copied and pasted the first command. When I ran the command, I received the same message I was receiving before..."the installation package could not be opened. Verify the package exsists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer Package."

=== Verbose logging started: 4/17/2003 14:32:27 Build type: SHIP UNICODE 2.00.2600.00 Calling process: C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe ===
MSI (c) (88:D4): Resetting cached policy values
MSI (c) (88:D4): Machine policy value 'Debug' is 0
MSI (c) (88:D4): ******* RunEngine:
******* Product: c:\office\proplus.msi
******* Action: ADMIN
******* CommandLine: **********
MSI (c) (88:D4): Client-side and UI is none or basic: Running entire install on the server.
MSI (c) (88:D4): Grabbed execution mutex.
MSI (c) (88:D4): Cloaking enabled.
MSI (c) (88:D4): Incrementing counter to disable shutdown. Counter after increment: 0
MSI (s) (84:E4): Resetting cached policy values
MSI (s) (84:E4): Machine policy value 'Debug' is 0
MSI (s) (84:E4): ******* RunEngine:
******* Product: c:\office\proplus.msi
******* Action: ADMIN
******* CommandLine: **********
MSI (s) (84:E4): Note: 1: 2203 2: c:\office\proplus.msi 3: -2147287038
MSI (s) (84:E4): MainEngineThread is returning 2
MSI (c) (88:D4): Decrementing counter to disable shutdown. If counter >= 0, shutdown will be denied. Counter after decrement: -1
MSI (c) (88:D4): MainEngineThread is returning 2
=== Verbose logging stopped: 4/17/2003 14:32:28 ===

Are you now updating another version of Office? You said you had pro.msi not proplus.msi. If this is still so you should change the command accordingly, not just copy and paste.

The Office Service pack 2 just contains the files MAINSP2ff.msp and Owc10SP2ff.msp.

Inside the admin install point there is either PROPLUS.MSI if you have OfficeXP with Frontpage, PRO.MSI if you have OfficeXP professional or STD.MSI if you have OfficeXP Standard.

:) Can only second your advice, Enyo.

Scott31 relax, take a deep breath and start new. Check all path- and filenames and try to understand the commands you are typing. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back