Office 2k on WinXP

B

bmxjt

I was running WinMe with Office2k installed. I installed the XP HOME upgrade. The upgrade told me that I would need to reinstall to get Outlook to work correctly. when I did this, it would start to reinstall and then ask me to insert the WINXP PROFESSIONAL cd because of some protected files. I do not own the PROFESSIONAL version of XP. Only the HOME Upgrade. I read something on the windows support site that was kinda like this and it said to do a flat install in safe mode. THis however really makes no sense to me.

I then installed office 97 back into the system. Now I can receive and read email through outlook express only but when i try and create a new email or respond, i get an error saying it cannot find the correct files. It basically seems corrupt or something. Anyone else experience a similar problem?

Well m8 sounds to me like you need to wash your hands, get a coffee, sit down and completely wipe your PC, and do a FRESH install of XP!!!.

Upgrades never really work correctly.

FYI.. XP-Home clean install & Office2000 with sp1 works perfectly, I know,.. I use it!! :)

Stuy_B

thanks. the thought of entirely clearing out my C: drive scares me tho. I have thought of doing it, but still. With the XP upgrade i would have to install a different OS first and then upgrade wouldnt I?

Originally posted by bmxjt
With the XP upgrade i would have to install a different OS first and then upgrade wouldnt I?
nope...you can do a clean install from the upgrade cd. Just make sure you have the disk for a previous full version of windows handy because it will ask you to insert it when you try to do the install to verify that you are eligible to use the upgrade cd. Just set your bios to boot from the cd first if necessary(some newer computers will do this automatically or dell computers give the option of hitting F12 i think at startup to choose which device to boot from), insert the XP home cd and start your computer. Then you can make/delete and format partitions to your hearts deisre:)

thanks.. i would hope all of that is worth it just to get Office2k to work.

the point is not to get office2k to work but to have a good solid os so that the other apps don't f%#k things up...doesn't matter what os your loading do a clean install and be a happy sane person.

Originally posted by adobo
the point is not to get office2k to work but to have a good solid os so that the other apps don't f%#k things up...doesn't matter what os your loading do a clean install and be a happy sane person.

Yep couldnt agree more, well I could, but I'd bore you Zzzzzzzzzzzzz, what waz i sayin!!!? Ahh yes a clean install can get rid of alot of potential problems, for any application.

Stuy_b

i do agree with you and I am going to do it. I guess I just hope things dont get totally screwed up. I dont know, I just dont have that much faith in my computer i guess :)

whats the best/easiest way to format the C: Drive using XP?

like i said

Just set your bios to boot from the cd first if necessary(some newer computers will do this automatically or dell computers give the option of hitting F12 i think at startup to choose which device to boot from), insert the XP home cd and start your computer. Then you can make/delete and format partitions to your hearts deisre

I guess I'm stuck in my old ways I use a win 98 start updisk fdisk and format just like I want it then do a fdisk/mbr then reboot to the cd and do clean install on slick hard disk

Sorry Amarsingh, I thought you were saying to change BIOS, format C: and then reboot w/ XP in drive. I gotcha now.

thanks

Go to musiccity.com dowmload and install Morpheus, its one of the best search engines (if you don't mind peer to peer) for just about anything you need.

walkthedog@ntlworld.com

:D :D :D

IT WORKED!

THANKS!!! It worked. :) Office2k is installed and I have a fresh and clean hard drive

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back