Office 2007(Basic) Registration code problem

DeeBeeS

OSNN Addict
I have just recently got a new computer a Dell XPS 420 and purchased with it Office Basic 2007. The installation disk was also supplied.

I decided that I did not want Outlook as I am only a home user and did not require all the stuff on Outlook and now use Windows Live for my email. I wrongly thought that if I uninstalled Office 2007 and reinstall without Outlook that this was solve the problem. I since learned that I could have disabled Outlook without uninstalling the programme.

On trying to reinstall the programme I was asked for the registration code which I have, on the typing in the code I found that it would not accept the last two digits, several times I tried but without success.

I now cannot use the programme. I also believe that it is an OEM version supplied by Dell so I would be unable to get any info from Microsoft. I am also still waiting for a reply from Dell.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to get this programme running again?

David

That's strange that it didn't accept your code - can you do a system restore to a previous date when you definitely had the whole office suite installed? If you can do that you can either:

a) Just remove Outlook and carry on as normal, or

b) you could run something like Belarc Advisor which will tell you your office CD key, and then "undo" the restore and put your computer back to normal having retrieved the CD key that you need.

Let us know how you get on.

Unfortunately it is some time since this problem started so if I do a system restore I would loose a lot of programmes since installed and also I am now on Vista SP1 and have removed old files.

If I try the other suggestion would this show the registration code as Office 2007 has been removed from the computer. I had the disks for Office XP which I am now using which is OK but I feel that as I have paid for the new programme and have the installation disk why not use it. Thanks for your suggestions.

David

I have just downloaded Belarc and had a look it only shows Office XP so no help there. Incidentally I still have the disk with the registration code on the sleeve and this is the one that will not work.

i would say to uninstall office xp - reboot and then retry to install office 2007 if it still doesnt work contact dell, if you got it from them they should be the ones to sort it out

Just tried that still the same problem last digits not accepted. I have contacted Dell but no reply as yet. Thanks for your help.

As I understand it my Office is OEM so Microsoft would not give you a replacement code but refer you back to Dell.

i know this may sound stupid but what are the last two digits, some times people read them wrong, mind you being in CAPS they shouldn't but you never know

I have now got to make a great big apology. You are not silly Carpo I am. When I got the CD I wrote the code out in larger letters as the print on the certificate was so small. Even with my glasses on I thought the two last digits were 00 so after reading your post I got a magnifying glass and they are not 00 but DD. I tried this and it was accepted. Sorry once again and thanks everybody to trying to help this idiot.

David

As I understand it my Office is OEM so Microsoft would not give you a replacement code but refer you back to Dell.

That is done on a case by case basis. You could always say you called dell and they keep giving you codes that don't work....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back