Off topic, but I need your advice anyway

Engineer

OSNN Addict
I know this is way off topic but I've received such useful information, feedback, ideas in the
past here in regards to the topic of interest that I thought I would ask this anyway.

I am thinking about purchasing a DVD player but do not know much about them. I need a suggestion
from someone about a message board or forum out there in the WWW that has discussions on buying
new technology (DVD, Stereo's and such) for consumers.

Thanks for reading and my apologies for posting off topic.

If no one can help me out please feel free to delete this post.

i highly recommend looking through some current issues of 'consumer reports'.

you go do this for free at your local library. :)

'consumer reports', if you're unfamiliar with them, is an indepedent group that tests/rates all kinds of consumer products.

I agree with koko -

I bought a Apex 1500 - they don't make them anymore, but they play everything .. pretty much any dvd player you get now does .. you just have to look around and see what suits your needs, you can get one for around $50.00 ..

I might stay away from Apex, they seem to last about a year for many. Best to avoid the $50 units, for a few bucks more ($70) you get a more versatile player. Seems most newer units now list what they will play, MP3, WMA, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, VCD, DVD+R, etc. Some units can even play MPEG's and JPG discs directly.

This site may help:
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/

Thread Moved - By Me

your Friendly Neighborhood [PseudoKiller]

i got my standalone from best buy not too long ago, not sure of the model off hand, for 99 bucks...its a philips and it plays everything (vcd, svcd, dvd-r/rw, mp3, cd-r/rw, jpg) well worth the investment, plus it has progressive scan but only good if you have hdtv :p

Bah to consumer reports, e-mail me and I'll tell you everything you need to know about DVD players...

Consumer Reports are usually good, but always a bit late, because by the time their reviews are posted, the product is old news.

I've worked in the Home Theater industry for too long, I'll tell you anything you need to know

herkalees@yahoo.com

I have an Apex.. i suggest getting a different brand. even though it is good quality, the player itself is LOUD! It does play a lot of stuff though.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back