Odd ?

dreamliner77

The Analog Kid
I was wondering...
I have two accounts on my system, Mine and "all users"
Some programs put stuff in my start menu and others in "all users"
Can I just move all the stuff from "all users" to mine just to keep things nice and tidy? Or will I really mess things up?

(this is mostly so programs list in the start menu in order and alphabetically)

Best off leaving things alone. Some programs want to go one place, others the other. XP requires both folders for a reason - though it does seem to be silly, doesn't it?

:D yes go for it the only thing I have left in the all users folder is the startup folder & thats always empty.
;)

OK, Two replies within a minute of each other, both telling me two totally different things. Now I'm confused.

You are not going to mess up your system if you move everything to one folder, but since you cannot delete All Users there's no advantage to moving anything and in the long run you are less likely to run into the smaller problems that will likely arise at some point.

I was just trying to get everything into one folder so my start menu can be in alphabetical order. Seeing as I have about 180 progs installed, sometimes it's just aggravating to find them

No matter were in the start menu you put program shortcuts they will work !!! - if there is to be no other user then put them in your Start Menu Programs folder - if your going to have multiple users then put them in all users Except the programs you want to keep for your self. The idea is you can configure each account differently

I moved everything from "All Users" to my own account. I have experienced no problems whatsoever. The only folder you cannot move is startup, Windows won't allow it.

As I said, no problems. 26 day uptime until rebooting today to install new updates and new versions of various software.

After all, they are just shortcuts.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back