odd xp-erience

E

exiter

sorry for the play on words :p

This is what happened:
I rebooted after a day or two being online and almost 4 days being up with just the OS. I went to relogin to the net and nothing happens. No dialog box for my leet ISDN login. I look in the Network Connections folder through the start menu and it's gone. I figured it uninstalled itself (I have seen Windows do this before in older versions e.g. Win9x.) I run the wizard and choose the manual setup and usually gives me 3 options dialup, LAN and broadband. Well the first 2 are grayed out. That's not good for me as I have leet dialup (ISDN). I figure maybe the modem has gone bonkers and check the device manager (The good old right click My Computer) and to my disbelief the Device Manager window is totally blank, empty! I have never seen this before. Since I have a ghost of a bare install of XP for this machine I reinstall in about 5 minutes. I kinda narrowed it down to a few programs install that may have caused this and didn't reinstall them. I also turn down the CPU to it's normal speed. Ran an antivirus (NAV 2002) and found nothing. Then to only have this happen again after a day this time.

I wanted some opinions on this, some ideas, and/or similar experiences.

I'm currently in IRC.
Now I'm running only the XP firewall. (It was Norton's Personal Firewall 2002)
Win XP has been fully updated.
MY box:
P4 1.5gHz @ 1.68gHz (was at this till this morning)
384 pc 800 rambus
abit th7-raid
lite-on cd-rw 16x10x40x
5x toshiba dvd rom
western digital 60gb udma100 7200rpm
maxtor 40gb udma100 7200rpm
western digital 30gb ata66 5400rpm
vertro geforce3 mx400 64mb sdram
core @ 207 / memory @ 334mhz
detonator v23.10 beta
avitron 17" flat screen
tiger jet pci 128k isdn-u adapter @ 128000bps
SB live! 5.1
windows xp corp. pro (5.1 build 2600)

Any help will cherished!

:p

very strange ......... nope never has happened to me ...

maybe a ghost in the machine ?

if anything strange like that happens to me i run System file checker

go to start - run - and type sfc

usually fixes it.. some modem drivers also can cause this problem ... as they will overwrite an XP dll

Oh yea wierd is the werd!

Windows XP uses it's own drivers for this type of modem.
It auto sees the modem and the site even says just to use the native drivers coz I guess there not gonna update them anymore.

I reinstalled the system, re-ghosted with all the good updates.
It's still running but thanx for the tip and i'll update you on the if this 'wierd' thing happens again. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back