Odd behavior with Mozilla

Gus K

NTFS abuser
Figured I'd take the plunge and give Mozilla 1.2.1 a whirl. Seems very nice, the pop-up stopping works well, and some pages seem to look a little nicer. One thing though, when closing it, or closing an open window, I get a burst of noisy disk activity (not a very pleasant sound, as I normally can't even hear my HD). When I go to the same site and repeat those actions with IE6, this does not happen.

Anty thoughts/fixes, or similiar experences?

Mozilla will tend to use the HD more than IE due to it not being an integral part of Windows.

Do you have the Quick Launch feature enabled? as this will cause a process to re-launch into memory when you close down the browser window.

Hey Speedy,

So is the quick launch a good thing? I'm not as concerned with the drive access, as much as the sound...it doesn't sound 'healthy'.

Oh, I assumed that you had a noisy drive and Mozilla was causing a lot of access.
Seems odd that only Mozilla will cause the disk to make a noise that's out of the oridinary, is it definately only Mozilla that causes the problem, and definately every time?

As for quick launch, yes, its good. Basically it keeps a sub-process of Mozilla open in the background/system tray which enables the browser to start-up quicker when required. The option to enable/disable it is in Edit > Preferences > Advanced.

Thanks for the input. It is only Mozilla that does this. I reinstalled and the noise is less disturbing (I'll try a defrag next). It's almost like a quiet buzzing. I usually hear nothing from the Maxtor drive. When closing, Mozilla or any open browser windows, along with the disk access there is a slight pause as it closes out. Do you also have a slight pause with disk access when closing?

Only if QuickLaunch is enabled. As the following will happen when you close Mozilla.
Mozilla window closes > slight delay > Quick Launch opens to sys tray.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back