OC the CPU or GFX?

ming

OSNN Advanced
OK, some of you may know that I've delayed my intended upgrade to AMD64 over christmas. I really want to upgrade, but have no £££ at the moment so now I'm going to gamble on OCing my current system.

The situation is - general use of the PC isn't a problem, I can do things without waiting for the apps to load. The main problem is in gaming - not that I have a lot of time to waste, but I would like the games to run a wee bit smoother - 9-39fps in CS is just not acceptable in anyone's opinion.

So, my question is - Do I OC the CPU+GFX card, or just the GFX card?

I have tried OCing the GFX card before by about 25-75MHz but it didn't show any improvement over the 39fps that I was getting out of the game. Besides that, I think the card kept overheating because frequent system crashes occured.

Any suggestions?

i simply recommend you an FX .. new technology , new life .. trust me , I've done already this step and had a wonderful surprise :) .6600GT are not so expensive and should be considered as a great decision .

Cosmin

Well for graphics I would oc the vid card, you can also run the game in 800X600 mode and turn off no essential options or quality. I play AAO and turning down the detail quality helps allot with my fps and I can't even tell the difference in quality.

overclocking the CPU won't give much of a boost in gaming. ocing the graphics card is the way to go, although you're not going to see huge differences. i overclocked my radeon 9800 pro by like 75 mhz and probably got a 5-10 fps increase. if you have water cooling or a better cooler on your gpu you could probably do more than that. what i'm trying to say is, overclocking your gpu with stock air cooling or even better air cooling is only mean for topping off your fps right now. it's good for squeezing those extra few fps that you need. it won't change the performance of an old outdated graphics card into a top of the line graphics card.

i suggest doing kind of what maveric said. turn the refelctions and shadows onto simplest or off, make sure it's on bilinear or lower filtering, make sure anti ailiasing and anistropic filtering are off. i also suggest that if you have an LCD flat panel monitor, to keep the resolution of the game at the native LCD resolution. i find that games run better that way. if you can't do that try different settings and see which ones work best for you.

tried all that... lowered everything to minimum... and there is absolutely no increase in fps... it just sticks to around 32 max most of the time...

Guess I'll just have to wait til summer or some time when I finally get around to getting my new rig.

ShepsCrook said:
Nice sig. graphic Logistic

thanks!

ming said:
tried all that... lowered everything to minimum... and there is absolutely no increase in fps... it just sticks to around 32 max most of the time...

Guess I'll just have to wait til summer or some time when I finally get around to getting my new rig.

Sorry man.

At best you get 5-10% overclocking anything. 10% of 9 FPS is 10 FPS. :(

New hardware...

emm u must be talking about cs:s to get 39fps? cuz on cs, a quick tweak on the .cfg file can get u a constant 100fps. emm plus doesnt help the tii4200 is a dx 8 card. 6600gt or higher way to go. but for cs 1.6, the Ti would do just fine imho.

I just want to get 60+ fps on my card if that's poss. what do i do in the cfg file?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back