:o :o How many Firewalls at one time do you run?

L

Leevoy

:cool: Just wondering how many firewalls on your PC/Mac OPS you run at one time!

I have 3 running.

Good or bad?

What combination works spiffingly?

Which combination is not the dogz b**locks?

Well I wanna know, I am knowledge hungry right now.

You only want to run one at a time, they can conflict with each other. Besides, you are using more resources than necessary, and slowing your interenet connection down.

I use a router, so I gots the NAT.

One and only one.

You do not need two solutions on one system doing the same job, its just over kill in the extreme.

You can run multiple software firewalls without issue but problems may arise.

As for hardware devices it depends on the size and configuration of your network as to how many if any you would require.

1 software firewall - Sygate Pro

2 hardware firewall - Linksys WRT54G

1 software
1 hardware

plus i got other security programs running in the background, but those are the only firewalls.

Well I asked this question as you might understand from what I wrote below.

I have Norton Personal firewall which I used with XP security but also with zone alarm pro.

I added zone alarm as when I do scans at www.grc.com I always end up with a specific port always open which means I fail the test with only norton enabled.
The port is stealthed like all the major ports when I always use XP firewall and or zone alarm pro enabled either 1 in combination with norton.

The port is 1025. I tried to add it to ports to monitor in norton but I still get a failed report. I also disabled dcom which was recommended and yet not thrills.

Thats why I asked this question.
Thanks for your help i will stick to Norton and XP firewall :) as this seems to be the best combination and one is built in.

You need to look locally at whats holding 1025 open. 1025 is used by the messenger service under XP. NIS should be blocking this for you. If its not that use Active Ports to view that process is holding the port open and create a system wide rule in NIS to block it. Also read the strange results section on GRCs site that may explain some other possibilities.

Two AV is ok.. but two firewalls? hehe :p
well, i suppose the firewall in the router in addition to a software version counts as two... :)

Two AV apps is liable to give you the same problems as two firewalls, ming. You've still got the potential for conflicts.

I havent had any probs with two AVs on any of my machines. But I understand what you're saying.

I have my NAT router that acts as a hardware firewall.

No software firewalls, only Symantec AV Corporate on all comptuers.

JJB

1 hardware in the router NAT

1 software in case i leave the router dmz up or if there's a power outage and the DHCP auto assigns the wrong comp to the dmz.

software: zonealarm pro 4
hardware: linksys befw11s4 wireless

I am running NetDefense firewall that is a part of SystemSuite.
There have been a few times that I noticed my firewall wasn't
running.I did not shut it down.Why would this happen?
Also twice I have had book marked sites disappear.BTW thanks
for sending the information email from this site.Had lost the b/m
thus the reason I had not found my way back till now.:rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back