O/C FSB limits

scriptasylum

OSNN Senior Addict
I want to O/C my FSB a bit, but am a little leary of going too high. I'll be using the system in my sig to do this. last time I O/C the FSB too high, I got harddrive corruption and had to reload windows, what a PAIN.

So, I'm thinking of going to ~136ish with 140 being the max, but at 140 the PCI bus is at 35MHz and the AGP is at 70MHz. Isn't that too high? I was figuring 136 because it will bring the PCI to 34MHz and the AGP to 68MHz which shouldn't be too bad.

What do you think?

Another quick question, the multiplier switches on the mobo (none in BIOS) go up to 12.5. Does that mean even if I unlock the CPU, it can go no higher than 12.5x??

Posted by scriptasylum
I want to O/C my FSB a bit, but am a little leary of going too high. I'll be using the system in my sig to do this. last time I O/C the FSB too high, I got harddrive corruption and had to reload windows, what a PAIN.

So, I'm thinking of going to ~136ish with 140 being the max, but at 140 the PCI bus is at 35MHz and the AGP is at 70MHz. Isn't that too high? I was figuring 136 because it will bring the PCI to 34MHz and the AGP to 68MHz which shouldn't be too bad.

What do you think?

Another quick question, the multiplier switches on the mobo (none in BIOS) go up to 12.5. Does that mean even if I unlock the CPU, it can go no higher than 12.5x??

technically you can increase your multiplier to I think around 14 or 15... but I would not increase it past 13.5 which is what the 2200+ should be at...

concerning the o/c... oc'ing is NOT a science... each cpu/mobo combo and the hardware that goes with it is different.. some rigs will not oc and some will oc like crazy to ridiculous levels...

you are not in any danger with your pci clocks till it gets to around the 40mhz mark... then it WILL start acting nutty... I would rather you knock it down to around 37-38 if you can... should be stable enough...

I regularly kick my rig up to around 143-144mhz fsb for benchmarking purposes... it is rock solid at the speeds... and none of my devices have any problems at all with corruption...

I would probably say if you want to be safe... increase in 1mhz increments and then load the cpu.. and see if there is anything happenning... like bsod's or peripherals not working properly or any other anamoly...

if everything is fine... kick it up more...

like I said before though... it is not a science and you do void all warranties by oc'ing but seeing as you have already done so.. I guess you understand the risks :)

g.luck...

oh and be sure you increase your vcore a little to compensate for the higher power usage @ a higher clock... leaving it @ auto for me causes bsod's... I usually manually set the vcore in the bios...

Thanks. :) I know there is no "magical" number that is guaranteed to be safe, but I was looking for the general average. I think I'll just leave it at 136 or 137 then. I was wondering how some people push it so high without damaging anything else.

I think you misunderstood the multiplier question though: The multiplier selector on my board is a set of DIP switches on the mobo and they will go up to 12.5 (no higher). Seeing as how the current multiplier on my CPU is locked at 12.5 anyay, I wouldn't be able to adjust it any higher. I know the board DOES support higher CPU's, but I guess those multiplier settings rely on the CPU to determine.

Posted by scriptasylum
Thanks. :) I know there is no "magical" number that is guaranteed to be safe, but I was looking for the general average. I think I'll just leave it at 136 or 137 then. I was wondering how some people push it so high without damaging anything else.

I think you misunderstood the multiplier question though: The multiplier selector on my board is a set of DIP switches on the mobo and they will go up to 12.5 (no higher). Seeing as how the current multiplier on my CPU is locked at 12.5 anyay, I wouldn't be able to adjust it any higher. I know the board DOES support higher CPU's, but I guess those multiplier settings rely on the CPU to determine.

well yah your cpu has the bridges burnt in to lock the multipliers... laser cut :)

you can fill in the bridges and voila you have an unlocked CPU... but you need to have proper materials... lotsa places even offering unlocking kits with all the stuff you need...

my clock multiplier is 12.. :) but still you can play around with vcore voltages and front side bus speeds...

my board technically supports through an fsb of around 200 or so but I doubt I am going up to that level... or can manage to do so :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back