nvlddmkm - WFT?!

ray_gillespie

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
nvlddmkm - WTF?!

:dead: nvlddmkm.dll :dead:

This little son of b**** crashes my computer just before Vista manages to finish loading. It gives me a lovely BSOD and then the computer reboots. It only happens when I have 4GB (4x1GB) of RAM installed. When I have 2 or 3 GB, it's fine.

I have looked on the NVIDIA forums are there are pages and pages of people complaining about this, though mostly because it crashes games rather than prevents Windows from loading.

Apparently, o/c'ing your graphics card can make this worse, and at the moment my Gainward Bliss card is o/c'd through its BIOS so I'll have to bring it down to stock speeds to see if that allows me to boot up.

Until a fix is found, I'm essentially down to 3GB of RAM on my shiny new x64 installation of Vista SP1. This has being going on for a long time for many people and I see no sign of a quick fix from NVIDIA.

I'd be quite interested in hearing from anyone else on OSNN whose had similar problems. Anyone found their own solution? I noticed that apu95 had a very similar problem to mine.

Last edited:
strange this as i have 4gb in here and sp1 and im not seeing this, mind you im not overclocking, im guessing you have tried all the latest drivers for the card from nvidia and even the mobo manufacturers site, mind you i haven't had any issues with the video drivers from nvidia, have you got the latest drivers for the board and chipset ?

Yeah pretty much everything is up to date. It must have something to do with having 4GB of RAM, and Vista brought up a 'solutions' thing this morning which said it's an NVIDIA problem but they don't have a solution yet.

I'm going to try putting my GPU back to stock speeds and see what that does - I don't mind having just 3GB of RAM for a while but it's kind of annoying that NVIDIA have been aware of this for a long time and haven't done anything yet.

Do you like my new sig by the way? :):)

all except the black and white thing on the end of it - whats that supposed to be ?

QRCode! Funnily enough I just read your sig, then scrolled down and found you discussing it.

Core 2 Duo E6600
MSI 975X
Geforce 7600GT
3GB DDRII RAM
320GB SATAII HD
600W PSU

:dead: nvlddmkm.dll :dead:

This little son of b**** crashes my computer just before Vista manages to finish loading. It gives me a lovely BSOD and then the computer reboots. It only happens when I have 4GB (4x1GB) of RAM installed. When I have 2 or 3 GB, it's fine.

I have looked on the NVIDIA forums are there are pages and pages of people complaining about this, though mostly because it crashes games rather than prevents Windows from loading.

Apparently, o/c'ing your graphics card can make this worse, and at the moment my Gainward Bliss card is o/c'd through its BIOS so I'll have to bring it down to stock speeds to see if that allows me to boot up.

Until a fix is found, I'm essentially down to 3GB of RAM on my shiny new x64 installation of Vista SP1. This has being going on for a long time for many peolpe and I see no sign of a quick fix from NVIDIA.

I'd be quite interested in hearing from anyone else on OSNN whose had similar problems. Anyone found their own solution? I noticed that apu95 had a very similar problem to mine.
it's interesting, it's issues like these that made microsoft eliminate address extension in xp and the companies refusing to write drivers that don't screw up the address alocations forced xp to limit what the applications can use

so I guess this is not solved in visa and if the companies refuse to write the drivers correctly they might are going to be forced into limiting what vista sees as well

which I thought they might have already done

since you're using that much memory, why aren't you going to 64 bit?

the apps aren't availabble?

Last edited:
Hi Perris! Long time no see. I am actually running 64 bit now - I was running 32 bit until last night, then I tried x64 to see if it made any difference, which it didn't. A lot of people have said that if they remove the NVIDIA drivers they can run Vista no problem, but that's no real solution obviously.

Others have suggested increasing the RAM voltage, but I don't understand what this does and what the risks are.

I'm surprised that a technological man like you doesn't have a barcode reader on his phone! You're not missing much however - Unleashed read it and printed what it says, it's just my specs :)

i dont even have a mobile fone :p - well i do but its rather old, plus i have no friends so why would i need a mobile :D

burn discs, listen to tunes, convert dvds, setup freebsd ftps/web boxes, try not to self harm, the usual things :D and try to help people out on the forum :p

Hi Perris! Long time no see. I am actually running 64 bit now - I was running 32 bit until last night, then I tried x64 to see if it made any difference, which it didn't. A lot of people have said that if they remove the NVIDIA drivers they can run Vista no problem, but that's no real solution obviously.

Others have suggested increasing the RAM voltage, but I don't understand what this does and what the risks are.
good to see you too ray, when you ran the 64 bit, was that with a driver written for 64 bit or a driver that was patched to work on 64 bit?

It was just the standard SP1 integrated Vista x64 DVD so the drivers are direct from there at the moment. I'll try the latest NVIDIA ones of their site this evening, but I tried them yesterday and didn't get any luck :(

what board do you have - what chipset - and what nvidia cards you have ?

It's the MSI 975X Power Up Edition, which runs on the 975X chipset.

this sounds like the same thing causing me to stick with the ati 7.12 drivers. 8.1 and 8.2 both end up with a driver module crashing repeatedly leading to a blue screen.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back