Nvidia + Win 7 = dropped inet?

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
Well this is an issue i have been fighting with for the last few days, whereby if i was downloading from newsgroups or running a single torrent, the inet would drop out.

At first i suspected my router, but after being able to connect to it from my laptop and mac i decided that it wasnt the router. So i started to google and have found im not the only one having issues like this under windows 7, under vista i had no issues like this (surprising huh? ;))

Some suggested uninstalling the whql drivers from nvidia and using the windows ones (older nvidia whaq), this didn't work.

After yet more googling where they claimed the drivers were unstable i come across a site saying about how the Half-Open TCP Connections Limit in Windows has been removed since xp sp3 Vista sp2 and windows 7.

They gave a key to look for to either enable or disable this limit, i looked, it wasnt on my machine, so they claim the limit is already disable.

I decided to readd the key, since then i have had no issue, i downloaded 20GB from the newsgroup without any issues, and have been d/l multiple torrents for the last 4 hours with no issues.

So this is either a driver issue (which i am leaning towards) or a windows issue.

Should you be getting the same issue as me - the link below might help you out, you don't have to restart your machine after you enter the new reg entry, but you can if you like.

(At this moment i have 350+ connections and im still here, last night if i hit more than 100 it would die on me)

Possible fix

I just bought a pci express intel network card. Now the only problem I have is the cable is loose in the plug, so if I move the cables around too much I disconnect myself without unplugging :D

i've never had an nvidia ethernet connection that didn't drop out on me.

its been fine under xp and vista - still seems ok for now, if i still get issues i may move to another card, least the laptop is Intel ;)

Have not had this issue but I use a NIC card (Intel 100 Pro) not onboard.

if this issue keeps up (seems ok since the reg edit) i may well go and buy a new card, it best not do this on gb transfers between the 2 machines - otherwise i will be pissed off

after keeping an eye on a few threads on different forums a new trick which has a lot of people saying it has fix their issue is to tunr off "Receive side scaling" on your nvidia network cards.

If nvidia don't out their fingers out soon im off to buy an intel card

After 2 solid days of kicking the crap out of the connection i have not had one drop yet (hope i dont after jinxing it) so hopefully the issue is now gone :)

*goes to disconnect Dark's internet again..*

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back