nvidia ti4600

Originally posted by catch23
eGoalter: You should install Windows after upgrading...it's problem is even after you uninstall and remove one card it may keep it's drivers...causing problems for the next card...you probably haven't had any problem because you would keep the same drivers for all those cards...I'll bet you'll have better performance after formatting though.

nope, i just uninstall the drivers ,and check the registry.....ive even gone from a voodoo 5 to a gf2 and had no probs.....i think thats just a hard way out....but ya its a good way to clean it up.....but i find it much easier to uninstall the drivers,and as for my performance, my machine has always run great......i just think reformatting is way too drastic for a simple video card.......if you can completely uninstall drivers yourself then that person should consider some pc lessons......;)

duhhhhh that 5 fps was fictive ...... just an example anyway you look at it ....... but who cares not me thats for sure just that formatting for a vid card is not needed but some will do it because they want to ..... its not about need ...... sure your os might bog down after a while but if you have the right tools and know how to keep it clean it will run always the same way it gets messed up when people start to fiddle and mess with stuff ......that they dont know enough about ........I wont bother going into the details but there are plenty of programs out there that help keep your os running like new ........... as for formatting over and over thats your choice ..........but I dont see it as helpful to someone who has a small problem with a vid card .......

formatting IS very fast and can be done within an hour.. thats not the point. the big point is getting all your stuff BACK. some people just play 1 game, some have 90 gigs of stuff thay need to backup, reinstall, re-configure, ect.

Well i cant :) yes i do have a second hard drive (not hooked up, i only hook it up when i format). I have about 40 gigs just in My Documents (90 gigs total on HD).

I install lots of games/software so it takes me days to get my computer the way i like it (working on it 8-12 hours a day). in fact, i have yet to format this computer so it might even take longer (i'v never gotten this much stuff on my HD before hehe).

A little more than i should have payed :( but i'm very happy with it none the less.. Gateway 700XL, $2999

please dont yell at me :)

(also, if i woulda waited 30 days, i coulda got a 2.53GHz at not a penny more.. oh well).

lol.. you would notice a speed difference of what> 3% or less? don't worry about it mate... that pc seems just fine...

I know it was fictive, just making a point that it doesn't just get bad a little and stay, it keeps getting worse, and is actually exponential, as for all those programs...you mean like all that Norton stuff etc and Disk Defrag?

Well Defrag only goes so far, and Norton Products have proven time and time again to not work unless everything is perfect.

I defrag (using Norton) about once every week or two. every time i go back my HD is like 95% fragmented hehe. major performance boost after defragging (i recomend doing it every couple weeks or when it gets 60%+ fragmented).

i just ran Norton WinDoctor and it found 893 problems (700ish were registry entrys).

I defrag every night well it does it alone I clean out my reg at least one time a week and do a backup and a compress of the reg also at least one time a week.......along with a few cleanouts of built up crap and machine runs smooth as silk ........

Do w/e you want, catch and I find re-formatting easier.

I just un-plugged everything, took it apart, and took a can of Duster (pressurized air) to my PC and BOY did that help hehe.. especially with the 3D card fan, power supply and CPU fan/heatsync.

Thats always a good thing to do every few months.

ditto

did mine 2 weeks ago with the high pressure spray can , my son's as well

i format once a month. lol, it makes a difference, certain thing will affect your computer even after uninstalling them and whatnot...

I format about every 3 months and I don't care what anyone says, it does make a difference. I was fully defragged before a reinstall and got 8760 on 3d mark. Re-installed XP with my 29.80's and ran 3d mark and got 9740!

The main benefit is I get to use those 50 execution demos forever :D

Every 1.5 to 2 months here, half the time I need it...other half of the time I'm just bored.

Not a big deal, but if you don't do it regularly, or know someone that does, I would not attempt it.

IF you don't take the above advice.......

There is only one way to learn. :D

just a thought why don't u just roll back video drivers then install
new drivers. :)

looks like this has turned into a format, don't format thread, lol, bottom line is i deleted from device manager, reinstalled card, installed 29.42 drivers and i am now getting over 8000 score on 3d benchmark, i DID NOT reformat, yet, lol. Thx for all the suggestions

Rule of thumb for installing a new graghic card

-Go into "Add/Remove Programs" and uninstall all games that use 3D graghics.
-Then uninstall the drivers for your currant card.
-Shut the PC down. NOT a restart.
-Install the new graghics card.
-Turn the PC on and wait for XP to detect the new card and install the default drivers (You do not need to restart after XP has installed them).
-Download the latest drivers and install them.
-Restart.
-Reinstall your games.

I'm a computer technician, I should know ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back