News Nvidia Launches “World’s Fastest” Graphics Chip

Graphics chip manufacturer NVIDIA has unveiled what it claims is the 'world's fastest' graphics card with the GeForce GTX 580 GPU.

The new GeForce GTX 580 is NVIDIA's latest and greatest GPU, superceding the GTX 480 that was released in March of this year. NVIDIA also claims that the GTX 580 is quietest GPU in its class, while offering up to a 30% increase in speed. Even in previous generation DirectX 9/10 games like StarCraft II, the new chip is purported to be 62% faster its current rival chip Radeon HD 5870.

WIth AMD's new AMD 6970 due out in the next few weeks, the battle of the graphics cards it hotting up once again.

GeForce GTX 580 Highlights:
  • Hard launch with immediate availability at an estimated SEP of $499 USD.
  • Up to 35 percent improvement in performance/watt efficiency
  • New vapor chamber thermal solution results in the quietest GPU in its class
  • New level of geometric realism -- 2 billion triangles/second
  • Provides game developers total creative freedom to create cutting-edge DX11 games
Source: Press Release

The thing that makes me laugh with all this is that every time either nvidia or ati releases a new card, they claim it to be the fastest ..

Sorry if that came across rude Johnny, I wasn't saying "of course the latest GPU is going to be the fastest" to you, although upon re-reading my comment is may have looked that way. I actually meant that to be addressed to these foolish marketing campaigns that always promote the latest product as the fastest in the world - as if that's going to come across as some kind of surprise!

It's cool, I know you weren't getting rude :)

The whole campaign thing just makes me chuckle. You would think that after all this time they would come up with something different lol...

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back