nvidia incompatibility

Taurus

hardware monkey
friend of mine has an Abit KR7A-RAID (kt266a) with a gf2 gts in it. one day it stopped wanting to go into windows normally and would just hang before it got to the desktop. safe mode was okay. we narrowed it down to the video card. it's not a software issue cuz i reformatted it and the same thing happened right at the end of xp install. also, i tried the gts in 2 other comps and it worked fine in both. right now we have a voodoo3 in the system and it works fine. we tried putting an ancient riva tnt in his comp but it had the same problem as the gts.

so is his board screwed? it has the latest bios and the agp slot doesn't appear to be physically damaged. what could the deal be?

Originally posted by taurus
friend of mine has an Abit KR7A-RAID (kt266a) with a gf2 gts in it. one day it stopped wanting to go into windows normally and would just hang before it got to the desktop. safe mode was okay. we narrowed it down to the video card. it's not a software issue cuz i reformatted it and the same thing happened right at the end of xp install. also, i tried the gts in 2 other comps and it worked fine in both. right now we have a voodoo3 in the system and it works fine. we tried putting an ancient riva tnt in his comp but it had the same problem as the gts.

so is his board screwed? it has the latest bios and the agp slot doesn't appear to be physically damaged. what could the deal be?

I think the video card died. Mine did the same thing, the heatsink came unglued. Bad luck man...SAME thing happened to me...Just the way you described it

thanks... but, like i said, the video card works fine in two other computers.

Boot Problem

I think your problem could well be Power supply Related. I have seen this a number of times where XP will get to the end and hang. In almost every case the Power Supply was marginal.
Best of luck to you!.....Boolseye

My System:
SuperCase Full Tower
4 each 80 Gig Maxtor 7200 RPM ATA133 Drives (320 Gig Raid Array)
1 each 80 Gig Maxtor 7200 RPM Boot Drive
1 Each ACOM External (For File Transfer & Backup) 60 Gig (USB 2 & Firewire Connect)
3 each 512Meg Hynix PC2700 DDR 333 Ram (1.5 Gig)
ABIT AT7 Max Motherboard
SoundBlaster Audigy Platinum
A+ GPB 500 Watt Power Supply
ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 8500DV 64 Meg
JVC SVHS HR-S5400U For Video Editing
AMD XP2000+ Processor W/CoolerMaster HHC-001 Heatsink & Fan W/ Heatpipes
2 each-SNT Hot-Swap Mobile Racks
Plextor 40/12/40A CDRW
Sony 16X DVD
KDS Avitron 19" True Flat Monitor
Olympus D-40 Zoom 4 Megapixel Digital Camera
HP-1200 LaserJet Printer
Epson Stylus PHOTO 785EPX Color InkJet Printer 2880 DPI
PrimaScan 2400U USB Scanner
Logitech Cordless Optical Mouse
Lite-On Surfboard Wireless Keyboard
WindowsXP Professional

power supply is an enermax 431watt. and how do you overclock the agp slot by itself?

Check to see if he has the AGP slot set at 4X... switch to 2X and see what happens.

oh, well the voodoo3 that works in the board is 2x... so is the riva tnt that doesn't work in the board... and the gts i know is a 4x card and it doesn't work either.

i believe there's really no solution for this problem short of hoping there's still a warranty on the mobo. looks like that's what we're going to have to pursue. }:\

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back