nvidia gf2mx400 pci 64mb + amd k6/2 500mhz

J

jonocainuk

i posted a while back with the exact same problem... but the graphics card was a 32mb pci tnt2 m64

basically, the card has been upgraded (for free :D) but the system still drags ass on q3 or ut :/

i reinstalled it with WinME so its got an OS that aint draining cpu and ram levels (like WinXP was doing :()

I still get like 9-12fps on q3 though, and i cant figure out why. i know the pci graphics card is bottlenecking it a bit, i always expected it to, but 12fps sucks surely for the system spec even though its pci??

amd k6/2 500mhz,
gf2mx400 64mb pci,
192mb ram,
10gb hdd,
realtek 10/100 pci nic,
some onboard poo sound card lol
running Windows ME

any ideas how to make it better?
ive installed dx8.1 and the latest detonator drivers from nvidia

thx in advance

Get a new card!

It's a PCI graphics card, and a pretty old one. Not so intended for games.

More ram and more CPU speed whole help a lot. Those are most bare minimum requirements for new games.

funny thing is though, ive seen amd 300mhz pcs using 8mb pci cards get the same fps on q3... so i cant work out how this 500mhz is chokin up with a 64mb gf2mx400.

would be nice to afford a new cpu an more ram, but as the pc is my girlfriend's kids comp, then it aint really high on our list of priorities lol...

its got a qdi superb1 mobo (sis chipset - no agp slot *sigh*)

http://www.planetquake3.net/tweak/tweaked_configs.html

reading through the different config bits, the guy says he gets 80 odd fps on his pc on a config aimed at high fps, low quality... he gets about 23fps at 1024x768 with all detail on full at the bottom of the page...

the system is a 500 amd k6/2, 128mb ram, voodoo 3 3000 16mb.

the pc i mentioned above has a 500 amd k6/2, 192mb ram, geforce 2mx 64mb.

why does that only get like 8fps at 640x480 with everything on low quality??

/me is jonocainuk @ work

Originally posted by jonocainuk
funny thing is though, ive seen amd 300mhz pcs using 8mb pci cards get the same fps on q3... so i cant work out how this 500mhz is chokin up with a 64mb gf2mx400.

would be nice to afford a new cpu an more ram, but as the pc is my girlfriend's kids comp, then it aint really high on our list of priorities lol...

its got a qdi superb1 mobo (sis chipset - no agp slot *sigh*)

let me break it to you...

the amd k6-2 is notoriously poor @ graphics... the cpu handles aritichmetic ops prtty good ie office tasks and what not... but for gaming it cant do much....

in your system I would wager that the video card can hit higher fps than you are getting.. yes... BUT it is pci and the cpu is as I mentioned... bottlenecking like crazy...

I also had a k6-2 450 earlier with 320mb ram and a 32mb sdr pci card... it rocked on my friend 450mhz pII but ran like a tortoise in molases in my rig... that should give you an indicator..

I dunno why the other rig would get better fps... unless it is a k6-3 setup... tri level cache helps a great deal... but your cpu is bottlenecking you... not much you can do about it...

the other rig is a k6-2

the gf2mx is better than the voodoo3 3000 (from personal experience).

i agree the pci bus is bottlenecking... but i dont think at the end of the day its the combination of the cpu and graphics. a m8 of mine had a 300 k6-2, 128mb ram, 16mb voodoo banshee pci - that ran unreal tournament to a point of playability without looking garbage. i have tried the very same voodoo banshee pci card in this system... ran like a dog.

i think its more down to the mobo rather than the cpu at the end of the day... fair enough, it aint gonna be a world beater at q3, but ut apparantly runs to a point of playability on a 133 (i got it running better on a pentium 166 + banshee + 96mb edo LOL)... it should run ut a whole lot better than a 166 surely??

A el' cheapo mobo will hurt you in the long run. I was broke when I replaced mine and today I am kicking myself because of it.

Good luck with everything!

aye, i know... me girlfriend got the pc for her kids a few years back from a local computer shop... im positive the mobo is choking it more than the cpu/pci graphics.

thing is... how hard is it to get a skt7 mobo nowadays? lol... impossible :(

Originally posted by TechSupport
the other rig is a k6-2

the gf2mx is better than the voodoo3 3000 (from personal experience).

i agree the pci bus is bottlenecking... but i dont think at the end of the day its the combination of the cpu and graphics. a m8 of mine had a 300 k6-2, 128mb ram, 16mb voodoo banshee pci - that ran unreal tournament to a point of playability without looking garbage. i have tried the very same voodoo banshee pci card in this system... ran like a dog.

i think its more down to the mobo rather than the cpu at the end of the day... fair enough, it aint gonna be a world beater at q3, but ut apparantly runs to a point of playability on a 133 (i got it running better on a pentium 166 + banshee + 96mb edo LOL)... it should run ut a whole lot better than a 166 surely??

yah a crummy mobo will also bottleneck you...

sry bout it m8... I lived with a crummy setup for a long time so I know how it is... :(

update: got a skt370 mobo and celery 566mhz - running the same gf2mx 64mb pci card (still a lack of agp - but it has intel 810 onboard if needed) - q3 @ 640x480x16 (all details on) gets low 50s for fps :D

Dropped my girlfriend's config and now the frame rates are at a much higher 76+ (config caps to 76fps - q3 magic number lol).

UT runs v.nice too :D

jus need a replacement for that sucky sucky 5 cents mouse now... rofl

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back