Nvidia drivers

trackrat

Birmingham UK
Have just installed MDK 10 and their is no driver to support my graphics card (GF5700) so I went onto the Nvidia site and downloaded the driver and burnt it to disc.
Then I started up the Linux computer and went into root mounted the cd and checked the cd directory was available(mkdir /mnt/cdrom) then entered init2 to cancel Xserver and get into text, then I typed cd /mnt/cdrom to access the cdrom directory and followed the installation instructions from the Nvidia site which said to type
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run
and when I press enter it is coming up as no such file or directory.
I need these files installed so I can get a legible GUI as at the moment I can only work in text.
Can anyone see where I have gone wrong.
The command reads like this,
[root@localhost cdrom]#sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run

Most likely it's a RPM which have to be extracted first. I am not sure though, it's been a while since I played with Mandrake (8.0 at the time) and nVidia drivers.

how did you go about mounting the CDROM drive??

maybe try this
rmdir /mnt/cdrom
mount -t cd9660 /dev/cd0 /mnt/
cd /mnt/
cp NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run /root/
cd /root/
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run

this assumes that /dev/cd0 is your cdrom device node

Managed to get it to run, now it is telling me that their is no matching kernel interface.
Thanks for your help.

if i'm not mistaken, that package is for RedHat. i have not seen drivers for Mandrake.

the redhat and mandrake drivers should be roughly the same as they are pretty much the same distro, or they were back in their version 7 days

There should be no difference at all.

Its a package that is created for all systems. Type your error into google and see what you get back, try http://google.com/linux

like i said it makes no difference between the distro's.

it was the right driver it is all up and running now thanks for your help

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back