Nvidia drivers

trackrat

Birmingham UK
Have just installed MDK 10 and their is no driver to support my graphics card (GF5700) so I went onto the Nvidia site and downloaded the driver and burnt it to disc.
Then I started up the Linux computer and went into root mounted the cd and checked the cd directory was available(mkdir /mnt/cdrom) then entered init2 to cancel Xserver and get into text, then I typed cd /mnt/cdrom to access the cdrom directory and followed the installation instructions from the Nvidia site which said to type
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run
and when I press enter it is coming up as no such file or directory.
I need these files installed so I can get a legible GUI as at the moment I can only work in text.
Can anyone see where I have gone wrong.
The command reads like this,
[root@localhost cdrom]#sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run

Glaanieboy

OSNN Veteran Addict
Most likely it's a RPM which have to be extracted first. I am not sure though, it's been a while since I played with Mandrake (8.0 at the time) and nVidia drivers.

Geffy

OSNN Veteran Addict
how did you go about mounting the CDROM drive??

maybe try this
rmdir /mnt/cdrom
mount -t cd9660 /dev/cd0 /mnt/
cd /mnt/
cp NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run /root/
cd /root/
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run

this assumes that /dev/cd0 is your cdrom device node

Geffy

OSNN Veteran Addict
the redhat and mandrake drivers should be roughly the same as they are pretty much the same distro, or they were back in their version 7 days

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poseeut