nv4_disp problem

E

everton

Hi.

After browsing this forum, I'd like to know whether there are any new suggestions people may have to resolve the nv4_disp / blue screen of death problem with the latest NVidia drivers. I find that many 3d games freeze when I load them, and I get the error message relating to a problem with nv4_disp.

I notice that there was a thread mentioning a beta fix from VIA to get around the problem. Has anyone tried it? I'm going to go back to the 21.83 drivers - are these likely to get around the problem?

My spec: ASUS TNT2 Pro 32 MB, P3-700 ASUS P3V4X, 512 MB SDRAM.

I'd really appreciate any advice or comments as I'm just about ready to ditch Win XP and go back to 98. :(

everton

I had the same problem, I tried the beta driver 22.50 which worked very well for me.

Check it yourself, you can always rollback the driver...

Fhuising

This was experienced (heh) by some of the earlier drivers, but seems to have been cleaned up more recently, which drivers are you using exactly?
I used to get this error but with 23.11 - 21.81 they stopped I think.

Originally posted by Electronic Punk
This was experienced (heh) by some of the earlier drivers, but seems to have been cleaned up more recently, which drivers are you using exactly?
I used to get this error but with 23.11 - 21.81 they stopped I think.

Thanks for the replies.

Well, I was using 23.11 and still getting the problem. I went back to 21.83 - which I'd read were the last Microsoft-certified drivers - and guess what, when I ran directXdiag to confirm this, directXdiag froze! Typically the screen goes blank, the mouse freezes, and control alt delete brings up a blue screen telling me that the error is caused by nv4_disp - if i'm lucky! The only option appears to be to hit reset.

So now with 21.83, I rebooted and dropped the AGP aperture from 4X to 2X in the BIOS setup screen (I'd read somewhere that someone tried this and found it helped) - that seems to have cured my problem, though I guess I haven't tested it completely yet. I will let people know how I get on. I'm not sure what sort of a performance hit, if any, going from 4X to 2X will give - for the time being I'm just happy to be running WinXP without it freezing!

:D

everton

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back