NTVDM.exe

crono_logical

Bird Eater
I appear to have lost the ability to run certain .exe files on my PC, mainly they are setup files or programs designed to run on an older version of Windows. I've tried Compatibility mode but that doesn't help.

In all cases, when I look in the Task Manager, I see some thread called "ntvdm", which refers to the ntvdm.exe file in the system32 folder, hogging 100% of the CPU. It doesn't do anything even after leaving it for a few minutes, so I end up having to kill the process otherwise my PC slows down.

Anything I need to do to fix this and be able to run these other programs again?

NTVDM is virtual dos machine. It is showing you that you have a 16 bit program running somewhere. Do you have a 16 bit program running that you know of?

Not that I know of. It only appears in the Task Manager when I try to run one of these Setup files.

You should only see it if you are running a 16 bit program.
What setup files are you trying to use?

I did a bit of testing, and it appears to be anything 16-bit, not just 16-bit setup programs. I always seem to get that "hanging" ntvdm.exe in the task manager.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back