ntoskrnl.exe missing

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi Guys,

I am getting this error on an XPPro machine:

<windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

Please reinstall a copy of the above file.

I would like to know how to reinstall this file. I searched and read that I have to use Recovery Console. Would someone be able to guide me on this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Heeter

It should be in the dllcache so boot to the RC and issue this command

copy c:\windows\system32\dllcache\ntoskrnl.exe c:\windows\system32\

Great, Thanks J and Nets.

Will try that right away. Copied that post onto a .doc for future as well.

Heeter

Usually there isn't a copy of Ntoskrnl.exe in the dllcache folder.

There is one inside the \Windows\Driver Cache\i386 folder.
If you have installed one of those Windows updates that replace the kernel, it is directly in this folder.
The command at the recovery console would be
copy "C:\Windows\Driver Cache\i386\ntoskrnl.exe" C:\Windows\system32

If you haven't applied one of these updates but have Service Pack 1 installed the ntoskrnl.exe is inside the sp1.cab file.
The command in this case
expand "C:\Windows\Driver Cache\i386\sp1.cab" /f:ntoskrnl.exe C:\Windows\system32

In case you don't even have SP1 installed, replace sp1.cab in the command by driver.cab.

would a "sfc /scannow" from command line find and replace that?

That's a good question, Xie.....

As for the machine itself, I won't be able to try it until tonight when I head over to this guy's place. Will keep posted.

I think I will try that sfc/scannow command as well.

Heeter

Yeah worth a shot .. much easier then reboot to recovery console an such :p Just make sure you/he has his cd ready incase it asks.

before you start copying files, run a chkdsk /r incase its a hard drive error that can be fixed, saved me a few times ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back