Ntldr

M

Madtripper

I recently decided to re-install XP. My previous install was starting to generate multiple errors and I had actually installed it with a different motherboard and cpu than I currently run so I knew its time was up.

I formatted a separate partition on my system and installed XP to it. Once I updated everything and got my programs running, I decided to format my previous install. Well, since then, I get the ntldr error at boot up. I've had this issue before and the only way around that I found was to reinstall XP. Of course I just finished getting it to where I wanted it so I'm not crazy about that idea. If anyone has a work around, please advise.

Tripper

you need to boot to the XP CD and use the recovery console. Use the command FIXBOOT

The boot files are always stored on the primary hard drives first partition, so when you formatted it, it erased the boot files.

I was really hoping that would work but it didn't. Anyone have any other ideas before I jack my system up once more? I looked into the BOOTCFG command also but nothing seemed to bring it back to life.

Tripper

I had tried FIXMBR prior to my first post but didn't have much luck. I ended up going towards the reinstallation and there is a repair option if you have a previous install. I went through the motions, which was just shy of a full install, and so far, things seem well. Thanks for the input and I'll post if it goes sour and I have to do a complete install.

Tripper

Just an FYI, the system has been less than stable since my "repair". I took notice today that it dumped all my updates so looks like I'm back to formatting again.

Wipe the entire drive this time & start from scratch. Should get rid of anything causing issues.

Appreciate the comment but I was trying to avoid that step. Unfortunately, that is exactly what I had to do a few hours ago. That repair option just left things too flaky. Made me feel as if I installed 98 overtop of my goods. Anyway, thanks again for the input.

Tripper

And if you are wanting to know what BOOTCFG does,
It is a (command line) program for editing the boot.ini file which contains information about where other OS's are on diffrent hard drives/partitions

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back