ntfs

J

jasonb

is it possible to convert ntfs back to fat32 using fdisk in ms-dos and not lose the files in c:\ ........for repair reasons

no, fdisk can only handle partitions and logical volumes, can't format or convert file systems.
...and DOS doesn't support NTFS.

well is there a way to delete a file from my ntfs c:\ ??.....i usually use win98 startup disk to get to dos and delete files on fat32

my comp. won't load win xp normally so i gotta delete this file that's causing it

can you boot into XP in safe mode?

also try booting using the XP CD and going to the repair console, or doing a repair install

If you have another comp/system NTFS enabled (NT4.0 SP6a or higher) you could mount that hard disk to that working system and do what you need.
If not you should use Khayman advice: boot to XP recovery console by pressing F8 right before startup screen (if you have it previously installed) or by using WindowsXP CD.

Only consider that a repair install just checks integrity and version of system files and will not revert back any harmful changes to your system. You use repair install when a boot file is missing or corrupted.
Since you need to delete a file, the recovery console command line is what you need (it lets you handle NTFS volumes just like dos with specific commands).
But if that damned file comes after a bad driver or service installation, its deletion will likely not fix your system... in this case you need to disable that specific driver or service to neutralize a previous harmful installation.

By the way, have you tried booting to the last known good configuration?

I would try the Recovery Conosole on the XP CD. Its a command line that can read NTFS. Just make sure to have your Administrator password ready. If not, press F8 and startup and try the varous options there for Safe Modes

JJB

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back