Ntfs

surge

OSNN Senior Addict
Does any one here know if Windows XP ready pc's
like ones that come from pc world come with NTFS already set up
?

iam thinking about changing my drive to NTFS format.

One way to find out.
Open Command Prompt.
In the command window, type help convert and then press ENTER. Information about converting FAT volumes to NTFS is made available.

To convert, do as below. Make sure you want to before doing this.
In the command prompt window, type: convert drive letter: /fs:ntfs. As in convert D: /fs:ntfs would format drive D

Important : Once you convert a drive or partition to NTFS, you cannot simply convert it back to FAT or FAT32. You will need to reformat the drive or partition which will erase all data, including programs and personal files, on the partition.

ok thanks

but i knwo how to check and convert,
all i woundered was , Do new XP pcs come with ntfs Hd's not fat32 ones

my pc is self built so i havent yet conveted the drive

Do OEM's like packard bell ECt make there systems NTFS or do they leave it as fat32

sorry for any confusion

Originally posted by surge
ok thanks

but i knwo how to check and convert,
all i woundered was , Do new XP pcs come with ntfs Hd's not fat32 ones

my pc is self built so i havent yet conveted the drive

Do OEM's like packard bell ECt make there systems NTFS or do they leave it as fat32

sorry for any confusion

I got a brand new HP 750n back in Feb with XP loaded as OEM - it shows the format as NTFS when using the packaged defragger.

I would say most do , except the systems that are more geared toward high end power/business users would be formatted with NTFS most likely.

thanks for the info guys
but ive decided to reformat and go ntfs
some things seem to run smouther now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back