NTFS v FAT32

tibboh

Arte et Marte
Im aware there are limitations with FAT32 with regards to HD size (I think), but if each of my HD's are limited to 80 Gb each, is there any other reason to go down the NTFS route. I have heard 3rd hand it is more stable - what are the drawbacks (if any) - so comments please before I do my latest install (and hopefully my last for a long time).

NTFS is recommended for any driver over about 40GB

NTFS

...and it will convert existing FAT32 files on my backup drive when I transfer them onto re formatted main drive, or do I have to convert them whilst still in backup drive? (sorry for sounding thick, XP, but the sight of your St George's flag has given me a headache,,,,,,,,, just wait till i get my St Andrew's colours up - he he).

you can either reformat and copy them back on, everything will be fine

or you can use the MS Convert util to convert FAT32 to NTFS, but the reformat route is better

NTFS is recommended at all time IMHO. The only "problem" that can arise is the more secure fashion of NTFS. The files are protected by permissions so that must be taken inte consideration in for example network shares.

I have been using ntfs for 2 years now and I think my system runs better this way over fat32.

There is a tweaks you will want to get to make ntfs run better !!!!

I would go with NTFS over FAT32. NTFS is a journalized file system which is why it defrags quickly. NTFS has a larger overhead than FAT32 so I wouldn't recommend it for drives under 20GB.

Originally posted by Reg
NTFS is a journalized file system which is why it defrags quickly.
Um... I'm pretty sure journalization protects from errors and removes the need of running scandisk/chkdsk after a crash. NTFS defrags faster because NTFS places new files in a smarter way than FAT32 so that overall fragmentation is smaller to begn with.

That's what I learned in the Computer Technology course anyway. :)

I've heard that too Zedric (that it places the files better)

I use NTFS on all my systems... I've even tested on a 10Gb hdd in a 566 celeron system with 256 ram. NTFS allows things to boot slightly quicker than when I had it installed on FAT32.
The overheads I found to be negligable (spelling?), so imho, its always better to use NTFS :)

NTFS gives every file created some room to grow which is why fragmentation takes longer to occur, but once you get close to filling the disk completely then that file headroom will get used by new and expanding files, then the fragmentation is like a grenade went off in your drive. Also MS Defrag has trouble defraggin a volume with less than 15% free space, on my 80GB drive this means I need to have 12GB free

tibboh you can convert your drive from fat to NTFS with partition magic... also NTFS uses on the fly correction of bad sectors (meaning it can do it online) and doesnt need to run everytime on a dirty volume :blink:

Originally posted by Geffy
but once you get close to filling the disk completely then that file headroom will get used by new and expanding files, then the fragmentation is like a grenade went off in your drive.
Oh THAT'S why my disk gets so sluggish when I go below 15GB of 120GB free. ;) :D :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back