ntfs to fat32

FishBoy

Feeeesh
is that safe to do or are there possibilities that the process might fail and i lose all my data? im gonna convert it with partition magice 8.0 coz ubuntu doesn't seem to be seeing my disk which is ntfs

Always safer to make a backup of everything before you change the format/size/partition of a drive. There's always a 50/50 chance that you might lose something in the process.

do you guys think that the reason my disk isn't showing on ubuntu is because it's ntfs?

cool so linux supports all file systems except for NTFS it only reads off that, but it doesn't explain why my ubuntu doens't see my ntfs at all, i can only see it in the device manager it has

FishBoy said:
cool so linux supports all file systems except for NTFS it only reads off that, but it doesn't explain why my ubuntu doens't see my ntfs at all, i can only see it in the device manager it has
I believe NTFS support is mainly supported in 2.6 kernel and Ubuntu either isn't running 2.6 or just didn't compile in support for it. Also NTFS -> FAT32 is a bad idea. You would have to backup data, format the drive NTFS and transfer data back.

Xie said:
I believe NTFS support is mainly supported in 2.6 kernel and Ubuntu either isn't running 2.6 or just didn't compile in support for it. Also NTFS -> FAT32 is a bad idea. You would have to backup data, format the drive NTFS and transfer data back.
well i usually find out by experimenting i did that backup stuff and forgot that fat only takes files up to 5gb.... stupid file system so now i have to find a way to get all my files to stay on that disk and be able to use ntfs normally with ubuntu

edit:
j79zlr said:
and yet this is what that link is for :D thx i'll try that when i boot in ubuntu

The default kernel in Ubuntu might not support NTFS, but I haven't checked. You might also have to mount it manually.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back