ntfs.sys problems

Grandmaster

Electronica Addict
Political User
So I boot the computer this morning and I get a message:

"ntfs.sys is missing or corrupt."

So I go to Microsoft's site, and they list instructions on how to fix the problems. This involved renaming the old ntfs.sys file and replacing it with one off of the Windows XP CD. Fine I did that without a hitch, and while I don't get the error message anymore, all my PC does is go to the Windows XP Pro loading screen, and reboots. It's a continous loop.

Any ideas? :confused:

Reg

eXperienced!
Have you ran checkdisk? You can do so by launching recovery console from your Windows XP CD (boot to the CD as though installing. Then choose R to launch recovery console). Run the command chkdsk /r.

cpugeniusmv

Computer Genius
try continuously tapping F8 during boot and select "Use Last Known Good Configuration"

if that doesn't work, then my next best suggestion would be a repair installation.

Khayman

I'm sorry Hal...
Political User
as well as running chkdsk from the recovery console, try running sfc /scannow

cpugeniusmv

Computer Genius
Khayman said:
as well as running chkdsk from the recovery console, try running sfc /scannow
does sfc work in the recovery console? i thought i tried that on a machine...but it didn't...

i'll have to look again.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey ep!

All good with me, applying for microsoft mvp right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by comming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier, mine is perriscalderon at gmail
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samhicks