NTFS Question.

M

Mike89

I have been reading as much info as I can on trying to decide NTFS or FAT32 for installing XP Pro.

Seems everyone who has NTFS swears by it. Is there any reason why NOT to go to it vs FAT32? BTW, I am a big time gamer.

Let's say you had two HDD's. First HDD split into two partitions. Would there be a good/valid reason to have the first partiton with XP Pro and NTFS and the other partition and other HDD at FAT32?

Would having a setup like above have any negative consequences like being slower because the CPU is constantly moving from NTFS and FAT32? Would that take more CPU time and power doing that?

personal choice for ntfs... but keep in mind if you have c: as ntfs i dont think you will be able to dual boot. The way i have seen dual boot in the past with NT/9x was to have following configuration...

c: = 10mb for boot files (fat 16)
d: = win nt (NTFS)
e: = 9x (Fat 32)

also make sure if you image your machine that it can read ntfs.

No I wouldn't be dual booting. I would upgrade over the current ME in partition 1.

The main reason to use NTFS is a matter of security. With NTFS you can have encrypted folders and have all kinds of file/folder permissions which allows you to restrict access to anything you want (useful if you have sensitive data and your system gets stolen/broken into, or if you have kids who might mess things up.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back