NTFS probs

T

thabigdada

i have 2 hard drives on my pc the first is 4ogb the second is 20 gb
im running xp on the first drive c: & d: and Dr dos 7
(hidden C: 500mb) & E: (were the problem is) on the second drive.
the problem is that recently i put some files on E: and within minutes when i tried to access them XP told me that i dont have permission to access them (WHAT!!).
so i removed all other partitions on that disk and the problem is still there
ive only ever used NTFS compression once and that was about
4 re-installs ago & i dont need to use the encryption feature
because i dont share my pc so i dont think it is a security certificare issue, yes i am logged in as administrator,yes ive tried chkdsk with a variety of switches and ive also tried various dos tools to check the disk but i dont want to lose all the data on e:
so i havnt done a full surface test or a secure deletion

one more point , i use partition magic 7 pro to edit all drives is this known to cause file system errors !!!???

"PLEASE HELP ME OBI-WAN YOURE MY ONLY HOPE":(

Sounds like you need to re-take ownership of the files. So log in as administrator, and disable simple file sharing via Folder Options. Then right click the root of the E: drive (or the lowest level folder), and choose "Sharing and Security". Click the Security tab, then the advanced button. Then click the Owner tab. Then set yourself as the owner and put a check in the "Replace owner on subcontainers ..."

cheers vector i will try that and get back to you ASAP

it sounds like the answer, its always the same with microsoft
big problem small answer but the other way round with linux
small problem big big big answer

:)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back