NTFS Only????? Help...

B

BetaSpanky

Ok, here is the scenario.

I installed XP Corp on my dad's PC and for some reason, it only gave me the option of formatting in NTFS, no option for FAT32.

Here is his PC:

ASUS A7V m/b
AMD 750
WD 40 gig ATA100
ATI Radeon VE
DVDRom
CDRW

and maybe a few other non important things.

Why would it only give me that option?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I have never ran into this problem.

One more thing. The prior OS was Win98SE.

after 32 gigs u only can format in ntfs

unless u do the trick winxp tweak

It only gave u that choice because FAT32 as a 32 gigabyte limit for partions and NTFS doesn't have that limition. Also NTFS makes better use of the space on the drive, and is better at handling problems say like u lose power so u didn't get to shutdown ur computer right when the power would come back a u fired up ur computer and its a FAT32 u would have to run scandisk were yf the samething happened with it in NTFS u wuldn't need to have that. Also NTFS doesn't fragment as bad.

Cool

I guess I learned something new. As stupid or simple as the answer is, I have never heard it before.

Thanks all for your help.

I know there is no downside to NTFS, I was just curious as to why that was my only option.

The FAT32 32Gig Limit is like the Orig FAT 2.1Gig limit.

Also FAT32 has a max single file size of 4 Gig, NTFS has a Max single file size of 16 Terabytes. I found this out after my Main driver backup was bigger than 4gig.

Originally posted by gtgarside
The FAT32 32Gig Limit is like the Orig FAT 2.1Gig limit.
No it's different. FAT32 can be used on partitions up to 2TB. The 32GB limit is only there because Microsoft don't want you to run FAT32 on partitions biggar than 32GB. The original FAT16 could never go beyond 2GB.

Yes, NTFS is the best way to go unless you plan to dual boot with 98/ME (which is completely useless IMO :p )

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back