NTFS File System

LocKStocK

Smokin & Jokin
I have been using FAT32 and WinXP for a couple of years now,
I never trusted NTFS for some reason.
Im doing a major upgrade tomorrow and a fresh install of winXP.

Is it time I started using the NTFS file sytem?

What benefits will I gain?

Any performance boost?

All comments are much appreiciated :)

Reg

eXperienced!
Yes, it is definately time to start using NTFS. You gain several benefits. One is security. You can incorporate security on your files using NTFS. But, the biggest benefit is the journaling system, which allows for files to be better organized on your HD. This allows for faster performance, better file integrity, less chance of corruption, and eliminates the need to run checkdisk after a crash. You can find out more about the NTFS file system at http://www.ntfs.com

ming

OSNN Advanced
I'd say use NTFS format if you're only going to use Windows (NT based) Operating Systems. This is because if you have say Windows 98/ME & XP in the same machine, Windows98/ME will not be able to see the partition/drive that has been formatted to NTFS.

NTFS is the format for the future, and you should get used to the benefits of it.
I'm sure you'd get to like it as time goes by. :)

vern

Dominus
Political User
The bottom line is that if you don't require backward compatability with FAT or have any legacy programs/hardware that specifically requires FAT/FAT32 then NTFS is currently the way to go. It will stay that way until MS introduces a new file system with it's upcoming OS.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dianeperli