NTFS File system corrupt

Nismo83

OSNN AZN Addict
I have an WIN 2k SP4 running on 1 workstation.

The problem i'm having is

the NTFS seems to be corrupted. i can boot into windows but i cannot access c:\ not even when i right click the drive to have a look at the properties. It just shows nothing so i suspect the file system is corrupted.

I have uses WIN2k SP4 CD for recovery process and here's are the things i do.

I fix MBR, CHKDSK /p, fixboot

but still the same problem.

Anyone knows how to solve it? this c:\ has valuable data inside. i can access d:\ no problem at all

I wouldn't think you could boot into Windows if your file system was corrupt. To me it sounds more like a rights issue. Are you logging in as a local admin? That really the only thing that springs to mind.

^^ tried both local and domain admin and i still cant access c:\

i would think that too that if the file system is corrupt then it wouldn't able to boot into windows but it does boot into windows.

anything got to do with mount?

i've too disconnect all network drive but the problem persists. But using recovery console, i can manage to peep inside c:\winnt\ <files> but not in windows itself.

You're not using EFS or anything funky like that are you?

I'm thinking it's rights. Because if you can't get into the files and it boots, then there doesn't seem to be a corrupt file issue. Are you booting into a guest account?

fitz said:
You're not using EFS or anything funky like that are you?

1. i'm not using EFS. Actually, this workstation belongs to a client/officer at a BANK. The problem is that the workstation contain crucial data in C:\... No BACKUP was done by the officer... two thumbs up here!!

2. btw, if the user manage to use EFS in the c:\ i suppose we (admin | local | domain ) can access to it right? And that guy has administrative rights due to some software unable to work under user right.

3. Can EFS being use to C:\ partition? I cant view the partition size, disk space used and etc

Last edited:
i got this problem solved.

Refer to the screenshot

Apparently someone else uses his PC and set the security settings ( delete all user and they wont be able to access )

He deleted all the user except himself and that makes it when other user log on to the workstation arent able to see the c:\

Hope this helps one or two guys of you out there.

Up my point if this helps.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.gif
    Untitled-1.gif
    57.8 KB · Views: 155

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back