ntfs/fat32

• Thread starter [CpK]Bastid
  • Start date
C

[CpK]Bastid

Is there any problem using fat32 on my primary hard drive(20gb) and the using ntfs on my secondary(40gb)?Any conflicts i might run into?...secondary drive used solely for mp3,videos, not running any programs from that drive.

ok thanks

fat32 cannot read ntfs. ntfs can read fat32 through fat32 u want be able to access your mp3 files on ntfs

Ice-Freezer
XP Home

fat32 cannot read ntfs. ntfs can read fat32 through fat32 u want be able to access your mp3 files on ntfs

Report this post to a moderator | IP:

THIS IS WRONG!!!!! Fat32 doesn't read anything---period. The operating system XP reads/writes Fat16/Fat32/NTFS. Just partition the exact way you started and it will be fine.

<<<<< similar setup win98se on C & the final partition F containing XP on NTFS the advantage being if I suffer HDD failure I can still gain access to my HDD through DOS were as if NTFS is the primary partition I would lose access to everything.
Originally posted by [CpK]Bastid
Is there any problem using fat32 on my primary hard drive(20gb) and the using ntfs on my secondary(40gb)?Any conflicts i might run into?...secondary drive used solely for mp3,videos, not running any programs from that drive.

ok thanks

NTFS is a good file system.

the only issue is if you don't have a good recovery method. The WinXP cd has plenty of functionality to fix NTFS boot problems.

If you see yourself in the foreseeable future using Linux then i recommend you use FAT32. Linux can read/write to it where as you can only read NTFS under linux and even then you are required to have root access. (if someone knows how to read/write NTFS please tell me)

FAT32 is still good but as ur HDD gets bigger consider using NTFS

Re: Re: Re: ntfs/fat32

Originally posted by catch23

That's because Windows 98 can't read NTFS...

:rolleyes: thanks for that catch23 dunno what I'd do without you
;)

:D ok NTFS is on the last partition all my good stuff is stored on the previous FAT32 partition. Now when the hdd has a funny turn I can gain access to the first three FAT32 partitions using good old DOS
;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back