Ntfs == Fat

P

paul_43

I have 2 WinXP machines, 3 WINME machines and one WIN98 machine one the network. The strange problem is only the WIN98 machine can't access the WinXP machine with NTFS. I have the other WinXP has FAT file system in it and it is ok. All other machine can access each other without problem. Those WINME machine had problem accessing the NTFS WINXP b4 installing IPX but after installing IPX, it's not a problem... But never got the WIN98 working with the NTFS windows. ANy SuGGEstions? :confused: :confused:

It should be able to do that.. coz all it does is making inter-Procedure call.. and the NTFS computer will response to that by sending back IPC to the FAT WIN98... same thing with WINME and I could get it working.. Thanks anyway..

Sorry I should be RPC ... remote procedure call... mistaken..

Win98 and WinME can not read NTFS. However, when connecting over the network the file system doesn't matter. I heard that the user on the Win98 machine must be the same as one on the XP machine.

m... that's not quite true.. coz I have another XP with FAT file system and Win98 can read that machine... but I don't know why Win98 can't do the same the the NTFS XP.. by the way.. both XP are Professional Version..

yes its best if all computers have same user/password accounts then they can all share.
file system only maters locally , over the network it doesnt as long as they speak to eachother in the same protocol

Thanks for the advice, but it's not possible in my network to have every computer to have the same name... I don't own all the computers... Any other suggestions?? Thanks in advance,,

then you can create shares and put everyone in for access permissions
the local file system means nothing to another computer over the network the os does the translation and sends info through a protocol
why would you even need ipx? it was only created and there so windows could talk with netware. tcp/ip is all you need and is loaded by default on xp machines and is the protocol of the internet

At first, those WINME was having the same problem as WIN98 then I read an article from somewhere saying that sharing file in a network using IPX is recommanded.. I don' t remember where I read that stuff... anyway.. I installed IPX on my NTFS XP and WINME after that they can communicate without any error. And I have set the permissions right since those WINME machine can access me. I am just not sure what could go wrong with the WIN98 Machine... Thanks *_*

Originally posted by paul_43
m... that's not quite true.. coz I have another XP with FAT file system and Win98 can read that machine... but I don't know why Win98 can't do the same the the NTFS XP.. by the way.. both XP are Professional Version..
It's very true I'm afraid. The network can-or-cannot access has nothing to do with the internal file systems of the respective computers.

As for the names. Create users on the XP identical to the ones on the 98 then.

You don't need IPX. TCP/IP will do nicely.

Yeah.. I know TCP/IP will do a nice job... but when something won't work anyhow... then you gotta try new things.. or those doesn't even make sense... But IPX works for WINME TO WINXP NTFS.... and yes you are right, file system doesn't matter... it's all about the protocol... but it just woudn't work... maybe I am a real dump or something else is wrong. I woudn't changing the computer name on my XP... but I don't understand what those WINME can access it without problem if it is the problem of the computer name... sorry if I have too many questions... :/

"create user identical to the one on Win98"
Do you mean creating a login account or in the security tag put the user name of the WIN98 account? (for the permission purpose)

not change the computer names, create user accounts locally on each computer with same user name/passwords
and make sure shares have everyone group or those user accounts as permission to access

But how come it is not required to do it on the WINXP FAT? And Those WINME has no problem connecting to the NTFS XP? I will try it anyway... Thanks, I will let you know if I have any luck..

get off the file system it has nothing to do with the network, really

the fat might be letting it by because on fat there is no ntft permissions on each file only permissions on shares, on ntfs drive there is two levels of permissions to get through, the share and the file

if you are talking about accessing files over a network - the file system used of the computer has nothing to do with it - it can be Windows/ Linux/ Mac whatever - what is important is the protocol used to access the data and user accounts. IPX has no use in a windows invironment unless u have a Novell server u did not mention.
what people can't get their head around is that Win98/me have no security - they don't care who access what - but NT based such as XP require that the connections comming in to it to be authenticated by a user name and password.
If security is not an issue for you - you can activate the guest account on XP and be done with it.

My Guest Account is always active... maybe that's why I don't have to create user names on my XP for WINME to access it... but why can't WIN98 do the same?

permissions, permissions, permissions
a setting is off somewhere that is all.......

Are you using Simple File Sharing? If yes, turn it off. If no, turn it on. :)

And yes I meant user name not computer name. Computer names can't be the same.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back