ntfs conversion problem

C

crkeith

I converted from fat 32 to ntfs but I have a problem. After conversion, when I do disk cleanup it stalls and never finishes. Stops on "compress old files". Under windows task manager it shows 100% cpu usage. Everything then slows down. I then have to do an "end process" to stop it. I reinstalled winxp but no help.
system: 1ghz athlon
384mb ram
windows xp pro:

When you re-installed XP, there should have been a "DOS" screen where it asks you if you want to reformat the partition as NTFS or not (during the early stages of installation). I've never done the conversion, but I hear it works for other people.

Personally, after trying both ways, I decided to stick with FAT32. You can check out this thread for my reasons:
http://www.xp-erience.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5371&highlight=ntfs+fat32

Compressed files

The first time I ran disk clean up compressed files took quiet some time (there were a lot of them) so just let it go do its thing. After the first time there was no problem. I set disk cleanup to run daily via schedsuled tasks, so now I never get a build up of files.

try to run it in the safe mode (F8)

if it works there is a program conflicting your cleanup
(norton diskdoctor for example)

you can try to turn off some programs in msconfig to see whitch program it is !

alex

I did let it run, for at least 24 hours and I could not see any progress. It worked fine before the conversion. I will try it in safe mode. Thanks for the advice.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back