NTFS compression question?

• Thread starter Flatbeat_Eddy
  • Start date
F

Flatbeat_Eddy

i was wondering,, does the NTFS Disk compression make drive loading times slower? Is it best to UNcompress the drive when running games?:confused: :confused:

My specs are

p3 850mhz
640mb ram
Gf3 ti500
40gig wdc
20gig Quantunm Fireball (MASTER SYSTEM DRIVE)

Unlike previous Windows compression utilities, XP's does not compress the drive - it compresses the files on the drive. Obviously there is a slight performance hit when you start a program, since the file needs to uncompress before executing. But the process is smooth and you really shouldn't notice much of a difference.

Compressing a hard drive is a very bad idea.
Yes it will slow down data access considerably.
You should immediatly uncompress the hard drive while you can.
I assume this is a secondary hard drive. If your drive fails then when it is serviced it will not be easy if at all possible to recover any data. Not only that it cannot be copied to another drive. So when too much space is used for decompression to take place then the data will be harder to work with and get off. You should expect two or more times longer waites on disc access.

Get another hard drive.. They are not expensive. Ill even send you one. Take my word for it uncompress it and dont ever compress it again. It will also likely reduce the life of your hard drive. If this compressed drive is a windows boot partition then its even worse.

I support all computer x86 based hardware and all Microsoft Operating Systems and much more. and thats one of the worst things you could possibly do to the system. Espeically under Win 9x.

Bob
Computer Renaissance
Service Manager
Knoxville, TN

XP is not Windows 9X. There is no reason not to use the native compression utility - it cannot and will not harm your drive in any way, shape or form.

As far as I know, compression DOES slow down disk access.

I'm not sure if the performance drop is noticeable or not. I prefer to keep all my files decompressed anyway.

NO, the compressed drive is a SLAVE 40 gb drive@7200 rpm, check my sig.

It has the default NTFS disk compression activated?

Originally posted by NetRyder
As far as I know, compression DOES slow down disk access.

I'm not sure if the performance drop is noticeable or not. I prefer to keep all my files decompressed anyway.
Have you used compression in XP?

so your saying that winxp's NTFS compression isnt performance affecter?

The easiest way for you to decide is to compress a couple of folders and see how you like it. Again, the drive is not compressed, only individual files / foldelrs.

Each time you compress or decompress a folder, make sure you defragment the drive ... it gets TREMENDOUSLY fragmented if you compress/decompress large files/folders.

well, i was thinking about its affects on playing games, that are HD intensive, eg operation flashpoint?

THis is from MicroSquish's Product Support Services:

NTFS Compression
NTFS compression is available on volumes that use the NTFS file system, and NTFS compression has the following features and limitations:

* You can use NTFS compression to compress individual files and folders, as well as an entire NTFS volume.
* You can compress a folder without compressing its contents.
* You can work with NTFS-compressed files without decompressing them, because they are decompressed and recompressed without user intervention.
* You can display NTFS-compressed file and folder names in a different color to make them easier to identify.
* You may notice a decrease in performance when you work with NTFS-compressed files. When you open a compressed file, Windows automatically decompresses it for you, and when you close the file, Windows compresses it again. This process may decrease your computer performance.
* NTFS-compressed files and folders only remain compressed while they are stored on an NTFS Volume.
* You cannot encrypt an NTFS-compressed file.

NOTE: If you move or copy a file into a compressed folder, it is compressed automatically. If you move a file from a different NTFS Volume into a compressed folder, it is also compressed. However, if you move a file from the same NTFS Volume into a compressed folder, the file retains its original state, either compressed or uncompressed.

This was under, "Best Practices for NTFS Compression in Windows"

MORE INFORMATION
NTFS compression can cause performance degradation because a compressed NTFS file is decompressed, copied, and then recompressed as a new file, even when the file is copied in the same computer. On network transfers, files are decompressed, which affects bandwidth and speed.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back